Web design images

maxspud 12:54 08 May 04

I cannot see my images in the preview pane when I am designing a web page. All I get is a box with a red X in the corner. If I upload to my web page I can then view it. My OS is Windows XP profesional. Is there somewhere in XP I need to set so I can view these images?

Forum Editor 13:47 08 May 04

are you using to design your site, maxspud?

Forum Editor 14:30 08 May 04

- it's best to post responses in the thread, rather than email me. Your text in answer to my question (for the benefit of the others) is as follows:

"HTML-Kit and I tried with Notepad also. I have put the images in the same directory as the page I am trying to create."

It's best to create a separate directory (usually called images) in the web structure. Place all the site images in that directory, and then reference each one in your source code - so the src for an image called 'computer' would be:

images/computer.jpg

as suggested by fourm member.

That way all your images are kept neatly in one place, insteads of being scattered in amongst your html page files. You can keep the page files in the root of the web, or in their own html directory, but if you select the latter option make sure that the index.htm or index.html file is itself in the root.

maxspud 15:02 08 May 04

I have created a sub directory for images and put the appropriate path in the page I am creating but there is no improvement, the path is being found because the Alt="filename" is working.

In PCAdvicer on the download page to the right of search download box there is another small box which shows me just the red X, does this have any bearing on why I cannot view certain images.

Also in the tutorial I read there was no mention of creating an index file.

PurplePenny 15:15 08 May 04

"the path is being found because the Alt="filename" is working."

I don't understand what you mean - the alt= is something you add to your HTML so it won't be affected by where you've put the images.

"to the right of search download box there is another small box which shows me just the red X, does this have any bearing on why I cannot view certain images"

.... it means that the PCA image isn't where it says it is (I can't see that image either)!

Penny

maxspud 16:39 08 May 04

Thank you for all your help, the GIF files turned out to be corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…