Web Design Course - Is it worth it?

toppamcbain 17:49 16 Feb 09

I am a Marketing Management graduate who is looking to improve my job possibilities by taking a web design course possibly with Computeach.

Would anyone advise a particular type of course or company?

My general aim would be to try and get an online account management position or something similar. I am not even sure if web design is the area I am definitely going to go for but I have decided that I need to improve my IT skills to further my career.

Any advice would be most helpful.
Thanks.

Forum Editor 23:35 16 Feb 09

but if you aim to work in online account management a web design course - though interesting in itself - isn't necessarily going to be the best route.

Web design and web development are often lumped together, but they are separate and distinct. Many people can design a website, in the same way that many people might design a car - it will look nice, but it won't necessarily run well. Web design involves a degree of creative flair, and that's something that is almost impossible to teach - you either have it or you don't. Web development, on the other hand, is a technical skill - people can be taught how to do it; in fact you can learn for yourself. I know many excellent web developers who have never had any formal training at all.

My advice is to acquire some knowledge on your own account before you invest what can be a considerable sum for a course on web design. Read some of the excellent tutorials that are available online, and/or search for books on the subject - there are literally hundreds of them out there. If you have any natural aptitude for design you'll soon be able to design a site, and where you go from there in terms of development is up to you. You may want to find out about e-commerce sites, and what drives them, in which case you will again find all you need to know - at least to start with - on the web in the form of free tutorials.

There's a good deal more to commercial site design and development than meets the eye - I've been doing it for more years than I care to remember, and to use that old (but nevertheless valid) saying, I am still learning something almost every day.

Good luck with your future career, wherever it happens to take you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…