Web Cams

Phil930 22:14 12 Mar 03

i am looking into buying a web cam but know very little about them and have a few questions.

Firstly i would be using the webcam through MSN Messenger. are there any additional costs here or is it straight forward plug and play??

next i am only connecting through a 56K modem, would this cause any problems in the transmission?? my friend on the other end would be using DSL (in america). does 56k support web cams as live pictures??

i don't really know where to start. as with all things i want a good quality web cam but i want to spend as little money as possible. what things should i be looking for in a webcam?? do they plug in through USB??

i currently use windows XP Pro on a high spec pc only let down by the 56K modem.

Many Thanks

powerless 22:41 12 Mar 03

Plug and play yes...A few inital settings to configure but it's essy...

56K would be slow, but you will be able to send viedeo...

Most webcams have thrown in software then up goes the price...

USB connectivity...

Main players click here and click here

Buy from click here click here (Labtec Webcam - USB £15.77 - £18.53 inc VAT) + may more places.

Stuartli 22:59 12 Mar 03

Best buy in webcams at the moment is the D-Link NetEasy 350 from Scan for under £20.

It offers the same specs as webcams costing two or three times as much, including 640x480 resolution capability), has a proper CCD and is USB equipped.

You can buy it at click here but when it is offered on the website's TodayOnly page you also get a PC radio for very little more.

I used to have the Creative Video Plus webcam which cost nearly £50 and it has exactly the same specs as the D-Link. I swapped mine for my son's D-Link which was playing up on his broadband connection.

The D-Link works fine with the Creative software, which includes security monitoring if you wish. It can be downloaded from the Creative website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…