web cam

lakeman 13:12 21 May 09

hi all ,recently i have had probs with kids coming in my garden wrecking plants etc. i have an old usb web cam i have never used and was wondering if its possible to just point it at my back gate when im not in and record to my pc any wrongdoings, which software etc. i know i could buy a cctv but thought i would try this first,thanks in advance

Stuartli 13:30 21 May 09

Some freeware motion detection software:

click here

click here

Your own webcam may have come with such software - I used to have a Creative WebCam Plus that did so.

However, you do also need to check out the privacy aspects of such use.

My younger offspring occasionally uses his personal website to view his in-property webcam whilst at work.

ambra4 13:31 21 May 09

Try this one it also freeware

Informant Video Surveillance Software 1.00

click here

Longhouse 13:33 21 May 09

You can use your webcam as a motion detection security camera. Try these links:

click here

click here

Not sure where you intend locating the camera in relation to the protected area but with usb you will be limited to a 5m maximum cable length unless you use signal boosters.

I've tried this in my home office and it works fine indoors but I did find that the camera sensitivity and resoultion were lacking a bit. Light might also be a problem if its happening after dark.

lakeman 13:58 21 May 09

its mainly just going to point at my back gate were kids climb over to nick and kill my fish and uproot plants etc,i have my pc literally under the window facing the gate so distance is not a problem.tried a couple of freeware progs but they dont work ,both actually crashed my pc.

Stuartli 15:37 21 May 09

It's the only way you will get the webcam to work as you wish, so you will have to keep trying appropriate software.

Also check if the webcam's CD disk, if it came with one, includes motion detection software or the manufacturer's website to see if it is available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…