Web Browser Hijacked?

tmr 17:53 29 Oct 04

I have recently started experience repeated unwanted web pages opening up whenever I connect to the internet.
Norton antivirus & firewall are fully up to date and configured with all protection switched on.
"Spybot search & destroy", "Spyware blaster", "Ad-ware", "Hijackthis" & "CWshredder" all failed to find or rectify the problem.
Have manually blocked many of the sites in the AD-trashcan and retricted all access to the web site computers in the firewall network settings.
This prevents content of sites loading but does not stop the web page opening.
OS is XP professional with all upto date upgrades except SP2 (which crashed my system when I tried to install it),
This is now becoming a real nuisance and any ideas of how to rid the problem will be appreciated.

Jackcoms 18:40 29 Oct 04

System Restore to a time before it started happening?

Disable System Restore, update all your scanners, run full scans with all scanners, re-enable System Restore.

Note, though, that by disabling System Restore you will lose all restore points.

Try also click here

Dorsai 18:45 29 Oct 04

I am guessing you use Internet Explorer?

Try Mozilla Firefox, click here it's well better, and less prone to atack.

Once i got recomended it, from this fourum, i have not looked back.

THE TERMINATOR 20:43 29 Oct 04

click here and getr this....T

gudgulf 21:37 29 Oct 04

What version of CWShredder have you got....latest is version 2 click here

Also worth downloading and scanning with "e"scan click here

sharid 21:45 29 Oct 04

try this
downloadalot best downloads on the internet
YES downloadalot bet downloads on the internet is spelt right.

and download ADVANCE BROWSER, you can set your own home page e.g google, and it will stop it from changing, i used it but now i use Enigma Browser which WAS on the same site. also try CNET DOWNLOADS which allows you to search CNET or the internet as well as other good site and download free software like SET UP PAGE GAURD which locks your home page, that should sort the problem, if not let me know

NickyK 00:36 30 Oct 04

I would suggest you have what I call a re-director in your system. Possible a Trojan, probably a deep-seated virus, or even poernicious, pssibly malicious malware.

However, as my peers have told me on this site, this is something you must pay attention to.

I had exactly the same problem with a friend's computer, recently (though it was different to your configuration). We ran all the svans you mentioned (and one or two others). I also tried Hijackthis, and found one utterly obvious traitor in the midst.

We then installed a cleaner and selectively washed various files.

No more problem...so far!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…