Web Browser Freezes

William-336251 20:15 01 Jul 08

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1. When I use IE7 it's fine for a little while then it's 'freezes'. The page selected does not load, ever. It can only be cleared by restarting the laptop. I tried running IE7 with no add-ons and it makes no difference. I also installed Firefox and that also locks up after a while and the laptop has to be restarted to continue. My son is using my old laptop which has XP SP3 and experiences no such problems. As it happens with both IE7 and Firefox it suggests it's not the browser but as my old laptop is ok it doesn't seem to be the router.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chub_tor 20:49 01 Jul 08

I've not found a definitive answer from Google but one of the suggestions is to query whether you have a conflict between Firewalls eg. with Norton and the Windows firewall. Did your Dell come with Norton installed?

ronalddonald 08:25 02 Jul 08

cleaning out the cookies folder nad do a disk defrag. Use anti spyware program to clean out anthing else. If you use avast or avg virus scanner use them to see if if there is a trojan.

Havent got the antispware do a serach on the forum or try click here

to download these programs.

birdface 08:59 02 Jul 08

You could try Tools. Internet Options.Advanced.And press reset.You will loose any add ons that you have but you can put them back on later.

birdface 09:03 02 Jul 08

Sorry ignore the last one.Just realized that Firefox also freezes.

oldbeefer2 09:44 02 Jul 08

Had this problem for ages (admittedly on XP). Finally found a suggestion on a forum that it can be caused by Windoze Update. Couldn't see why, but changed update to 'prompt before...' Freezing has not happened since (6 weeks).

Chanetsa 04:33 13 Jul 08

I have exactly the same problem.

Ie7 and Firefox 3.0 on a Dell XPS 1530 using Vista Home Premium. I can be browsing for an hour no problem and then suddenly the browser will freeze while loading a page (both browsers). I have another notebook which can access the internet and browse while this is happening - so it doesn't seem to be modem related.

Once the browser freezes, I cannot end the process via task manager and have to perform a hard shutdown and reboot. Once up again, browsing works fine for a while - then freezes again. It doesn't seem to relate to any particular website either.

I use Zonealarm (firewall), Avast (virus), Spybot and AdAware (Malware) programs. I have run all of these. I have also run a registry cleaner. Windows firewall is off.

I have tried the suggestion above to no effect.

Has anyone found the solution to this yet?

Thanks

Chanetsa

William-336251 17:58 13 Jul 08

No, I have not resolved this. I cannot browse for an hour, mine freezes long before that. I also use ZoneAlarm and Avast. I can nothing via Google. At the moment I am just living with it.

sinbads 18:15 13 Jul 08

Have you tried a reset tools/internet options/advanced then rest at the bottom.

Also have a look click here may help

Traithnin 22:27 17 Oct 09

I have an XPS M1530. I can browse the internet for a while then after a varying length of time IE feezes, page never loads. I have tried Google Chrome, same thing happens. And once it's happened with IE, Chrome will not work. Other internet reliant apps are fine (Otlook, Google talk, MSN etc are fine) and what is strange is that from Google talk I can load the Google mail inbox page but nothing else. I'm using a wireless router and can have another computer using the same router without problem so it's definitely not the router, and the internet is still working for anything other than browsing. But once it has happend only a reboot will allow it to work. In task manager Internet Explorer cannot be killed and shut down sometimes takes up to 20 minutes. Dell support have not helped, although they did help identify that one of the RAM chips was faulty and was replaced but that didn't help this problem!

rdave13 22:45 17 Oct 09

Could be the firewall. I'd try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and reinstate Vista's own. Run Windows 7 firewall control (free version) for outgoing controls.click here
If the freezing still occurs then the ZoneAlarm firewall can be ruled out.
Had a similar problem with PCTools firewall, once uninstalled then the freezing stopped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5