Web Browser change: Registry Modified, message

wint 21:55 19 Aug 07

Since un-installing WincleanerAS Anti Spyware (because it appeared to conflict with McAfee) from Trend Micro click here I have seen the following pop-up message from McAfee AV each time I open Internet Explorer 7.

I have tried both blocking the registry change and allowing it, neither makes a difference that I can see.

I have run McAfee several times also Windows defender and SpyBot SD (no, I don't think I am paranoid, just careful...)

Not sure if the two are linked or a coincidence. Any ideas please?

The message:-

McAfee has detected a potentially unauthorized change to your computer.

Details
SystemGuard Name: Internet Explorer WebBrowser
Change: Registry Modified

More Info
SystemGuard Description: Monitors changes made to your Internet Explorer WebBrowser instance. The Internet Explorer WebBrowser contains information and settings about an instance of Internet Explorer. If these settings are changed or a new WebBrowser is added, this WebBrowser can take full control of Internet Explorer, adding features such as toolbars, menus, and buttons.

Process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Process Name: Internet Explorer
Process Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Affected Items: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ieframe.dll, HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3022161497-2596439098-305411348-1005\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{F2CF5485-4E02-4F68-819C-B92DE9277049}, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F2CF5485-4E02-4F68-819C-B92DE9277049}\InProcServer32\

it may have been the last m/s update, does that coincide?

Woolwell 22:40 19 Aug 07

I think that it is a weakness of McAfee. I get a similar message from time to time and am unable to detect anything fundamentally wrong. It is probbaly not the anti-virus part of McAfee but the systemguard part of the suite. Which version of McAfee are you running?

wint 21:45 20 Aug 07

Don't think there was an MS update at that time - but not sure.

I am running McAfee Security Suite 2007, vers 7.2 with auto updates.

I suspect it is a McAfee weakness too.

Woolwell 23:26 20 Aug 07

Hm - I have the same suite as you. You could try running CCleaner and see if that finds anything.

wint 19:38 21 Aug 07

I will try CCleaner, strange though. Thanks for the suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…