Web based businesses - a con?

dac2000_uk 12:22 11 Aug 03

I've been on ebay looking to buy an online business however I dont know whether or not they are genuine or just a waste of time. Any advice?

DieSse 12:30 11 Aug 03

They could be either - but why buy one - just start one.

dac2000_uk 12:31 11 Aug 03

How would I start my own?

-pops- 12:34 11 Aug 03

I regard ebay and everything connected with it with deep suspicion. Anything involving more than £1 and my suspicion turns to disbelief.

OK, some people have no problems but loads of others do - and can be extremely expensive mistakes.

Ready made businesses used to be very popular in the back pages of less reputable newspapers, may be they still are. These businesses were mostly a con and I don't see that the ebay ones will be any different.

-pops- 12:37 11 Aug 03

Seeing your response to DieSse, are you sure this is the sort of thing you should be thinking about?

Running a business of any sort involves a lot of hard work, long hours and dedication. It also requires you to know something about what you are doing.

I would think long and hard before embarking on this.

dac2000_uk 12:39 11 Aug 03

Hi again, well it seems like (or these sites make out) that you have to put in about an hour a day and everything will run smoothly, basically the websites run themselves! Would I be wrong in thinking this?

-pops- 12:47 11 Aug 03

You get out of a business what you put into it - if you're lucky.

One hour a day in - one hour a day out. Less expenses, overheads and so on and so on.

I had a business a few years ago. It needed all I wrote in my previous reply.

Get rich quick schemes NEVER work. If they did, everyone would be doing it and everyone would be likewise retired to the Bahamas or similar places.

If you have a lot of legitimate money you are trying to dispose of, send me an email;-))

stlucia 12:51 11 Aug 03

What you need to question is, what exactly are the web sites selling or what service are they providing?

Probably its just the modern equivalent of pyramid selling -- you get paid for the number of new members you sign up. What they're signing up for is the "right" to sell even more web sites!

dac2000_uk 12:56 11 Aug 03

Well I was looking at one for instance which sold mobile phones, for each mobile phone you sold you got a payment of £20 directly from orange. The cost to buy was just £1 but there were hosting fees of £9.99 per month.

Djohn 13:04 11 Aug 03

If you recommend your mobile company to other people, you can receive this sort of offer direct from them! You can with mine anyway. "Vodafone"

-pops- 13:11 11 Aug 03

As Djohn says, I have just bought a new mobile with a similar offer. The thing is that each person I might recommend also gets the same offer -pyramid selling it may not be but your own sales are limited. Think of the advertising you have to do as well.

I revert a previous point. If this were so marvellous, everyone would be doing it. They aren't so I can only assume it's not all it makes itself out to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…