web address help

Mr "B" 20:03 11 Aug 09

Hi
I have just collected my laptop from a local shop that i took it to in order to have it repaired and they put it back tod efault settings etc as i had asked. I need help with searching the web as when i put a subject into the very top search tool bar it tells me that there is connection problems and i am unable to search anything. However when i type it into a small search bar on the top right hand side of my screen it searches fine - could anyone please advise me how to change this setting. Cheers.

OTT_Buzzard 20:17 11 Aug 09

Sounds like internet explorer needs updating - earlier version didn't support search through the address bar.

Use windows update to update IE

Mr "B" 20:32 11 Aug 09

im on veresion 8 and i think thats the latest, if i put the correct website address in it then its fine it happens when i just put a random word in and it brings up nothing apart from a page telling me about an error( the sort of message you get if your connection is down)

birdface 20:41 11 Aug 09

Not sure if this helps or not.

click here

tullie 20:43 11 Aug 09

Why put a random word into address bar and not google,have i missed something?

birdface 20:45 11 Aug 09

Cant do it on my address bar either.I suppose thats why we got the search bars.
Ive never used the address bar for searching so it does not bother me.

OTT_Buzzard 23:39 11 Aug 09

And yet I can use it for search in IE8....

Very strange.

tullie: address bar searches is something becoming more common (Chrome uses it, not sure about firefox). It essentially cuts out needing a search toolbar and havng to go to a search page before enterng search critera. Personally, i like it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…