Wear and Tear ???

chrissy7 17:52 18 Dec 04

In terms of wear and tear , is it better to shut a 'Desktop' down when not in use ? OR put it into 'stanby'. I ask the same question also with regards to a 'Laptop', shut down or hibernate ??. I have heard varied schools of thought on this issue, and would really like to kwow once and for all ....Whats the best thing to do.

Jeffers22 18:02 18 Dec 04

Other than overnight (always shut down) I only shut down if I am going to be out of the house. I would suggest that the wear and tear is likely to be mostly within hard drives spinning up and shutting down (and optical drives too I guess) as they are the only moving parts other than any fans.

My shutting down is more to do with fire safety if I'm out or in bed and power conservation (i.e. a lower bill for me) than it is to do with cutting wear and tear.

Buchan 35 22:12 18 Dec 04

chrissy7,
I`d prefer to shut down every time. If this PC was part of a business set-up it might be different but as a privately owned one I do not like big electricity bills.
For example, I asked my wife to switch it on when I had the electricity meter panel open and I got a shock when the thing that rotates began to whizz.
Apart from that Jeffers22 is right about fire risk.

Tycho 22:34 18 Dec 04

I have had this computer for about 7 years now. the only problem that I have had with it was a burnt out psu. I hate to think what would have happened if I had been out of the hous when it happened.

Furthermore,I have read that a company pc hd would last about 3 years. Mine has done over twice that with absolutely no problems.

In terms of energy consumption I would think that if all turned of their pc's when they we not using them then that would make a significant difference to the problem of global warming.

chrissy7 22:40 18 Dec 04

Thanks for the info all, beleive it or not, the thing catching fire had'nt crossed my mind !! Duh !!...Guess I will shut down at night and 'standby' in the day when i;me around with a fire extinquisher at hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…