we have 2 laptops, broadband and a wired router

moonstar1981 13:41 21 Dec 07

hi there, we've only got laptops (both are wireless enabled) in our house and i want a wireless router instead of the fixed modem we currently have in the upstairs office. can i just buy a netgear one from pc world and set it up like the wired one? or do you need a fixed desktop computer to run a wireless? we are on bt broadband. i would like to have it up and running before christmas to. (I lived in leeds and we just plugged a wireless router straight into the telephone line). help really appreciated!!!!

Quiller. 13:52 21 Dec 07

You will need a ADSL wifi modem router and not a cable one.

Which one are you thinking of?

" do you need a fixed desktop computer to run a wireless? "

No. The router will be just connected to you phone socket and an electrical socket. Thats all. The rest will be wireless through your home.

moonstar1981 13:55 21 Dec 07
  Quiller. 13:57 21 Dec 07

Any of these netgear routers click here from PC world should fit the bill.

What internet service provider do you use and what is your normal download speed e.g. 2Mbps

Quiller. 13:59 21 Dec 07

That one you have picked, the WGB111BDL is no good for you. It is for cable broadband.

moonstar1981 13:59 21 Dec 07

bt broadband yahoo 2mb

Quiller. 14:06 21 Dec 07

Thats your best buy from PC world then @ £49.99
click here

You can get them cheaper online but you haven't got the time to order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…