WD portable external harddrive - not recognised

novis 11:23 AM 03 Aug 12

I have a Western Digital external harddrive WD3200ME which I have been using successfully with a Toshiba Equium laptop running Windows 7. However the external harddrive is no longer recognised when it is connected probably due to a disconnection error [it was disconnected in error without using the computer's facility].

I have checked out the WD site

but as a novice am unable to understand what to do next or which option to pursue. Any suggestions / help would be welcome.

northumbria61 11:32 AM 03 Aug 12

Try this - Go to start, right click on Computer, select manage, select disc management. The next column on the left will show all drives with their corresponding letter. Your external hard drive may not show any letter assigned to it. Right click over where the drive letter should appear and select Change drive letter and path. Select whatever letter that you want to call it and click OK.

It should now be recognised.

northumbria61 11:35 AM 03 Aug 12
  novis 11:46 AM 03 Aug 12

I am able to get to the list of drives and right click on the DVD drive [the only option that allows 'Change Drive letter and Path'] am prompted to select D - 'Assign the following drive letter or path' - and am prompted to create a new folder ... and then it all gets really complicated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:43 PM 03 Aug 12

Assume you can only see drives C: and D: (DVD) in disk management?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X