WD My Passport HDD Freezes Computer

Hangus 17:08 08 Dec 13

I have a WD My Passport 500 gig HDD, and when I plug it in to my computer, it freezes. It has been working fine up to now. I have tried it in another computer and it is fine, so it is not a problem with the HDD. I have also tried it in safe mode, and it works fine then as well. There is not a lot on it, as it is used to store photos mostly, and has only used about 2GB so far, the rest is free. Other USB devices, such as my camera, and USB sticks all still work fine. I have tried swapping USB ports, but it makes no difference. The OS is XP, and everything else works fine still. I have tried a system restore to a date when I know it was working ok, but that has made no difference. Anyone have any ideas please?

Hangus 22:48 08 Dec 13

Hi Jock 1e, yes I checked the device manager, and everything was hunky dory. I can only check it when the HDD is not connected though, not sure if that makes a difference.

lotvic 23:15 08 Dec 13

Specs say Interface USB 3.0, USB 2.0 Could be not enough power, the USB port you are plugging it into may be only usb1 try it on a usb2 port (on back of tower usually)

Hangus 08:03 09 Dec 13

Hi Iotvic, I have swapped the ports around, but it makes no difference. It was working fine until about a week ago, so it cannot be a power issue with the USB port I was using. Could it be a hardware failure of some sort in the PC

lotvic 12:43 09 Dec 13

If other devices work ok in the usb ports then I do not think they and your pc are the problem. Have you tried the WD My Passport on a different pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 09 Dec 13

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or In

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 09 Dec 13

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or

In

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 09 Dec 13

OK

I seem to have a problem posting to this site looks OK when I type it in but comes out wrong when click on POST

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:24 09 Dec 13

Well that worked but why didn't the first two posts work?

Computers don't you just love em ;0)

Hangus 18:03 09 Dec 13

Iotvic, yes, I have tried it on another computer and it works fine.

I tried the drive clean up, fruitbat, but it makes no difference. It still works in safe mode though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009