WD My Book Drive Replacement

Biker Dave 20:23 PM 03 Sep 12

After 4 years my My Book 1TB external drive has died in what seems to be a fairly well documented issue. I have confirmed the drive is US by removing it from the case and trying to use it as a normal sata drive, no luck. This would confirm that the case mb is OK. I use the drive as my desktop / laptop back up drive so wish to restore normal service asap! The installed drive is a WD10EACS – spec SATA-300 – 16MB cache-7200rpm. I have considered installing a WD1002FAEX Caviar Black. 1TB – SATA-600 – 64MB cache – 7200rpm. I can’t see why this wouldn’t work but does anyone know different? I like the fact this My Book has sata/usb and firewire outputs but would prefer a reliable back up to additional outputs. All help appreciated.

Biker Dave 20:31 PM 03 Sep 12

Update: Always helps to push the power supply in properly, doh! Drive OK so looks like a new case is required. Off to search the WWW.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…