WD My Book Drive Replacement

Biker Dave 20:23 PM 03 Sep 12

After 4 years my My Book 1TB external drive has died in what seems to be a fairly well documented issue. I have confirmed the drive is US by removing it from the case and trying to use it as a normal sata drive, no luck. This would confirm that the case mb is OK. I use the drive as my desktop / laptop back up drive so wish to restore normal service asap! The installed drive is a WD10EACS – spec SATA-300 – 16MB cache-7200rpm. I have considered installing a WD1002FAEX Caviar Black. 1TB – SATA-600 – 64MB cache – 7200rpm. I can’t see why this wouldn’t work but does anyone know different? I like the fact this My Book has sata/usb and firewire outputs but would prefer a reliable back up to additional outputs. All help appreciated.

Biker Dave 20:31 PM 03 Sep 12

Update: Always helps to push the power supply in properly, doh! Drive OK so looks like a new case is required. Off to search the WWW.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites