WD External Hard Drive

4wildlife 15:42 30 Jan 10

l purchased a WD 650gb external hard drive a while ago, l've had no problems with it, so l bought another WD 1tb to use as an extra backup for my pics as l take alot of photo's. When l have the 1tb plugged in and then l turn my computer on it runs so slow it nearly stops/freezes, it is so bad that l can't use the computer,l have to unplug the hard drive turn the computer off then on again for it to work properly. l got in touch with WD who told me to do an RMA, they replaced it with no explanation and a completely different hard drive, (l had an elements they replaced it with the book) this one does exactly the same, does anyone have a solution as WD will not answer my emails. Can anyone recomend a good external hard drive l'm on windows 7. Thanks

Pamy 16:11 30 Jan 10

Hi, does the 650 work ok when both are plugged in?

Also does the 1T have it's own power supply?

lotvic 16:16 30 Jan 10

Is pc busy trying to Index the files and include the ext drive in a Restore Point?

Did you check how much processor % is being used and what tasks are running?

4wildlife 17:41 30 Jan 10

The 650 is plugged in all the time and works ok, the 1tb does have it's own power supply, l don't know what the pc is busy trying to do, when l try to use it the screen goes a white colour and freezes. l have just been told to start the pc first then to plug in the hard drive and it seems to work fine. Thank you both for your help.

Diemmess 17:48 30 Jan 10

Glad its sorted.
I did have a more modest ext HD which took longer and longer to respond after plugging in.
Eventually it refused to show at all.

There was nothing wrong with the disk.
It was the case circuitry which failed and was later binned. The disk has continued to work as ever but inside a new case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…