WD Ext HDD Smartware on VCD - how to delete

hastelloy 10:34 13 Dec 10
Answered

This is more of an annoyance than a problem. I have a WD external HDD which has software on it disguised as a CD (VCD). This can't be deleted by normal means - anybody know how to get rid of it. It's only using 400 MB so not worried about the space (1TB drive) but every time I switch the drive on its asks me if I want to run the software,

bremner 10:56 13 Dec 10

What message do you get when you try to delete it and was this on the drive when you bought it or have you laoded it on.

rawprawn 10:58 13 Dec 10

I formatted mine before I used it, but you could try Unlocker
click here

hastelloy 15:56 13 Dec 10

There is no message when I try to delete. Highlighting and pressing the delete key gives no response and right click doesn't give delete as an option. The problem is that the system sees it as a CD (virtual CD) and treats it as such. Even disc management sees it as entirely separate from the HDD. I did format before use but can't format the VCD.

hastelloy 16:08 13 Dec 10

Sorry, should have said - this was on the drive when I bought it. I'm using W7 Pro 64 bit.

bremner 16:23 13 Dec 10

My guess from seeing other disks with similar is that this is on a protected partition of the drive and can not be deleted.

hastelloy 16:34 13 Dec 10

I was afraid that might be the case. As said - more of a nuisance than a problem. I dare say I'll survive.

Thanks for all responses.

BRYNIT 17:18 13 Dec 10

A little information on Virtual CD from the WD web site click here

hastelloy 10:03 14 Dec 10

Many thanks to all.

BRYNIT's link would have worked for what I wanted although WD only let you hide the VCD and not delete it.

├četa's link gave software which totally removed it.

Job done.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…