WD 80GB drive, only seen as slave

wint 10:44 09 Nov 03

Hi,

I have been scratching my head over this one for several weeks.

I bought a new Western Digital 80GB drive with 8MB cache with the intention of having this WD drive as mater, Mator 40GB as slave (for video, pictures etc) and a removeable -for backup- on the 2nd IDE chain along with the CDRW.

Trying all possible jumper positions (a few times inc. this morning) I can't get the WD 80GB drive to work in anything other than either "CS" or "master with no other drive present" BUT it will only be detected as SLAVE although it will boot up in either WinME or WinXP home (dual boot). If there is another drive on the same IDE chain, I get the mesage "NT Leader missing".

I have checked the Bios and have confirmed selection as auto detect on all channels.

Any helpful suggestions please?

The system does work as it is but I am frustrated that I can't make it do as I wish and that I need to open the box and mess with cables to perform a back-up to my "removeable" drive.

Thanks,

Wint.

Falkyrn 11:00 09 Nov 03

Some drives will only operate as master if placed in the correct position on the ide cable in the chain.

Microsoft knowledge base also has some info re the error message click here;en-us;812492

flecc 11:06 09 Nov 03

On nearly all motherboards, the master should go on the end connector of the IDE cable, slave on the centre.

As usual though, there are exceptions, notably a few Chaintech motherboard models. On those the master sometimes goes on the centre connector.

Some Maxtor drives are very particular about these niceties so that partnering drive won't be helping if there's an error in that layout.

wint 11:37 09 Nov 03

Didn't know about the positioning, I thought it was simply the jumpers.

I'll try that early this afternoon & report back.

Thanks both.

DieSse 13:44 09 Nov 03

The positioning on the cable only matters if you have an 80 wire cable and use Cable Select as the jumper position on the drives.

Then the end drive is seen as master and the center drive as slave (note there could be other schemes if the motherboard dictates it, but the above is the normal one)

So if you use Cable Select, you should use it on both drives (to avoid confusion), then put the drives in the correct position on the cable.

wint 17:18 09 Nov 03

That did the trick. I had to move my drives around to get the ribbon cable neat & tidy, did a quick Spr... Autumn clean while I was at it.

I must have been lucky in the past, I thought I'd had Maxtor drives in the other way before (master on the centre connector).

As an aside, the 8MB cache on the WD drive made a noticeable difference when first installed.

flecc 19:55 09 Nov 03

Many computer and drive combinations insist on the correct drive order with 80 wire cables when jumpered as master and slave, not just cable select. If connected the other way round, only one drive is seen. This is particularly true of some Maxtor models such as the 740 series.

DieSse 20:20 09 Nov 03

It's interesting to know this - never seen it before in probably hundreds of systems. I presume they have some error in their Master/Slave logic.

flecc 22:24 09 Nov 03

Could be DieSse. I've got one of these combos by my right knee at present, Biostar M7VKB-1 mobo and two Maxtor D740 30 gb drives in my number two. Absolutely refuses to show the slave if it's connected at the end with both correctly jumpered as master and slave. I had the oportunity to speak with a Maxtor tech man some while later and raised the subject and he confirmed this was so, but I didn't go into the reasons at the time.

The Chaintech I mentioned cropped up some while later when I found one with a Western Digital and Maxtor combination which hid one drive when the master was at the end. I'd vaguely remembered someone in here claiming Chaintechs were the other way round so I read the manual for that model online and found that was the case, the master had to be on the centre connector.

DieSse 22:27 09 Nov 03

Always something new to know (and beware of!) - thx.

flecc 22:28 09 Nov 03

There have been others butI've probably seen more than a fair share since I've been in the habit of recommending Maxtor widely!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…