Wave device for voice modem?

dagbladet 10:29 07 Sep 04

Have just re-formatted and installed 98 SE. Loaded all drivers , everything seems fine except on each re-boot the computer finds 'new hardware, wave device for voice modem' i've tried to steer it to the modem drivers, but it says they're not what it's looking for. Also in 'system' there is a yellow question mark against 'other devices-PCI mass storage controller'. The machine and modem appear to be working fine, any ideas please?

Stuartli 10:53 07 Sep 04

The sound card is used for this purpose.

cream. 10:54 07 Sep 04

The drivers for 'Wave device for voice modem?' are not on the modem disk. These drivers are on the windows 98se disk. The next time you boot insert your win 98 disk and when it asks for the drivers point it to the windows disk in your cdrom.

Stuartli 10:55 07 Sep 04

If you look in your sound card's Properties under Audio from Control Panel it should list it as the wave device.

I'm assuming you have a sound card..:-)

cream. 10:56 07 Sep 04

this explains why you keep getting the message.click here

Stuartli 11:01 07 Sep 04

Or you can download which one you require from here:

click here

or

click here

Stuartli 11:06 07 Sep 04

Probably more up to date as well.

dagbladet 11:12 07 Sep 04

Excellent response as always folks. Going quiet to work on those solutions now, thanks.

dagbladet 15:30 07 Sep 04

Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. The drivers are not found on the Win98SE disc nor the soundcard or modem drivers.

dagbladet 15:32 07 Sep 04

BTW what does the wave device do? do I really need it?

cream. 19:39 07 Sep 04

How strange!

You do have sound enabled on the computer?, either by sound card or on-board chip?

Is there a yellow mark against this in device manager, if so delete it and reboot with your windows disk in.

What does it do, from the link above

quote "
The Wave Device allows a voice modem to send and receive audio to the sound card via the system bus (no cable is needed between the modem and sound card). "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…