WAV to MP3

wildhouse 22:59 12 Mar 14

Hi Can anyone recommend a program to convert WAV to MP3? There seem to be loads out there and I want to ensure I'm not downloading anything dodgy. Audacity suggests LAME.

AroundAgain 23:41 12 Mar 14

Audacity is a good program for recording sound and editing. If you want to then save as MP3 then, yes, you need to download Lame, which is just a little program.

Once you download Lame, make note of the path to that file, ie probably in Downloads and when you click, in Audacity, to export/save as MP3, it will ask the location of the Lame file and give you the wherewithall to point to it.

More than that, I don't know. I'm not into editing music particularly but do save as MP3 for my purposes.

Hope this helps

craigfawr 00:04 13 Mar 14

Very good indeed - not dodgy. Passes all scans - used it for years including the latest version. You can drag your file into the window or open it the usual way. When you save it there is a drop down menu to choose how you want to save it. Mp3 is OK but it sounds boxed in at the lower bit-rates. You loose the feeling of presence because it is compressed. The higher bitrates are obviously better - the lower ones have a kind of helicopter blades going around feeling to their sound - can't explain it better!

To be honest. I use WAV these days as the problem of storing it has gone away. Depends on your source material.

I might be wrong but LAME is built in on the latest. I don't recall having to download it and tell Audacity where I put it but that's easy to do and as it asks / tels you. Good luck.

craigfawr 00:06 13 Mar 14

Telllllls Ugh .........

imendpc 01:02 13 Mar 14

A good place to download Audacity is from Portableapps.com The beauty of running a portable app is that it does not install nor alter your Windows registry. But virus scan any download as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…