Water Damage?

Maineman 23:24 16 Sep 04

I recently suffered a water leak at home which resulted in water splashing around my PC tower unit. The unit was unfortunately open, in that a side panel was off, due to a recent power pack upgrade. During the leak the computer was on and working,and I shut it down overnight, but the following morning it kept freezing soon after being turned on, which worsened to the point that it would not load windows at all. There was power but no loading (diagnostics indicated a processor problem). I tried to have it repaired under contents insurance as I believed it to be as a result of water getting into the tower case but the computer inspection report gave the following opinion: 1) No heat paste was applied between heatsink and processor, causing processor to overheat and fail 2) The video card may have incorrect input voltage for the motherboard.
I have tried contesting to no avail.
Okay, I have never used heat paste previously, to no ill effect, and the video card and mobo have been fine for probably 2yrs.
I must confess I had experienced previous recent processor temperature error messages but seem to have solved that with a new power pack.
I just wonder if the symptoms would be the same if water had got on the motherboard or similar? Can I contest that assessment from the insurance company? I'd like to take this as a 'second opinion' from you helpful folks! I'm not talking masses of water here, but enough to splash onto the mobo and maybe shortcircuit the system?
Thanks all.

Jeffers22 23:56 16 Sep 04

I cannot confess to being a fully qualified electronics expert, just an amateur with a lot of years of tinkering, but there are two reasons why I think it unlikely that the water splash was the prime cause of your problem.

1. A short circuit caused by water bridging two sets of current would more often than not have shown up in the form of some sort of hardware crash while the PC was still on. Probably catastrophic and accompanied by a hiss and smoke emission.

2. Your previous overheating messages. While it was possible to get away without thermal paste/grease with slower and therefore colloer running processors, any processor produced in the last three or four years really should have it between CPU and heatsink.

That doesn't necessarily mean the water may not have contributed, but I doubt it is the sole cause.

This is probably not what you hoped to hear, but I do think you will struggle under an insurance claim.

Jeffers22 23:58 16 Sep 04

Where did that come from?

Gandalph 00:33 17 Sep 04

This to me sounds like a typical Insurance Company trying to get away with paying out by finding any excuse they can.

pubsinger 01:48 17 Sep 04

As you already said you had been getting CPU temperature warnings I reckon you`ve answered your own question. The CPU was going to die anyway. Whether a water splash had anything to do with it is pure conjecture at this point, but what you`re asking of the Insurance Company is the same as saying your car crash wasn`t your fault, even though you knew you had a couple of flat tyres and the brake warning light kept flashing.
In answer to the last part of your question; yes, you could contest their decision but to do so you would need to employ the services of an independent PC "expert" and this would cost you a fair bit.
When I was servicing electronics (good few years ago) my charge for an Insurance Report was a minimum £30, as I had to be absolutely exact and correct in case the Company in turn challenged my diagnosis.

Maineman 10:16 17 Sep 04

Thanks for that, not what I had hoped for, but, yes, as I expected! Never mind...... where's my credit card?
Regards to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…