Water cooling - good?

Muckleface 02:36 20 Jul 03

Im considering gettin water cooling in my PC, is there any bad points to it?

Mastermind 03:07 20 Jul 03

I don't know much about water cooling except that it outperforms conventional cooling allowing for more extreme over-clocking. It's also very quiet. However, as far as I know it can be expansive.

Mastermind 03:08 20 Jul 03

...Also, I suppose a leak would be a bad point. ;-)

Valvegrid 08:07 20 Jul 03

What goes 'around comes around' the large mainframes of the early 1970's used water cooling and what a plumbers nightmare that was.

No reason why not though for a fixed installation. You'll probably have to make all the fittings yourself though, also the heat transfer calculations flowrate/device temp. need to be done which may be the only drawback as the pipework maybe large plus a cooling tank needs to be fitted. I think I may have some calculations for large water-cooled transmitters in some old books which may be able to be scaled down.

Interesting project, go for it, you may have a niche market for it.

Good luck

powerless 08:21 20 Jul 03

Water Cooling has been around click here

click here £148.99

Chegs ® 10:48 20 Jul 03

I looked into water cooling my AMD,and read thru several sites.This put me off due to the precautions (remove CPU,and fill the underside of its mounting with silicon)and several other dire warnings were mentioned(condensation problems,etc)Its only neccessary if your into extreme OC'ing.Modern Heatsinks/fans are almost able to match the water-cooling performance,WITHOUT the worries of water ingress into a pc.

BillEmm 11:09 20 Jul 03

They are inefficient, noisy, bulky and leak.

There are non, that I have heard about, that surpass the latest copper based heatsink/air fan combination units.

If you are not convinced I suggest a quick venture into the land of Google with a search argument of, say 'cpu "water cooler" review'

Happy reading.

NEOSPHEAR 13:53 20 Jul 03

As with anything you get what you pay for, there are some very good water cooling kits out there that will surpass the performance of your conventional air cooling system and there are bad, as for the previous post they are bulky and they "can" leak but this is all down to how they are installed and the quality of the components, and if you dont know what you are doing and things go wrong you cant blame the system for not working for your lack of knowledge.
They are not noisy far more quiet than air cooling and more efficient.
Best thing you can do is to do your research and I do believe that micromart did an article on watercooling last week in their magazine it may be worth checking that out, hope you get on ok mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…