watchingTv on Pc

misters 21:49 PM 13 Oct 11

Hi im a complete novice about this so please if you can help make it as simple as possible, thank you.

My problem is i recently purchased a PC with a built in tv card and i now would like to watch tv on my pc using windows media centre, i have plugged in my outside aierel to my pc but each time i scan for channels using wmc it find nothing not even a tv signal, the aeiel is fine cause i have no problems using it in my tv.

Can someone please guide me through what i should be doing and am i missing anything?

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 PM 13 Oct 11
  misters 10:33 AM 14 Oct 11

The guide was great and i followed it but still no signal, though now i'm not sure if i'm using the right ca ble to connect i was just usink my antenna cable to plug into the back of my computer, but i noticed there is another hole socket just like the one you get in the back of your monitor for sound i think they call it a jack connection there and i'm not sure if i have to use that as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 AM 14 Oct 11

No all you need is the aerial plugged into the aerial socket on the TV card

However if it is an old analogue only card it won't get a signal now we have all gone digital.

Have a look in the menu to set the card for digital if possible.

robin_x 12:06 PM 14 Oct 11

If you bought it recently (new) it should be Freeview from the aerial.

Check connections. Plug a flat screen TV into it instead of PC to see if you are getting signal.

Even my 5 yr old Hauppagge Desktop PCI card is Freeview.

Auto Tune has analogue and digital and FM radio options. Most of UK is digital only now. London is next year.

Woolwell 12:15 PM 14 Oct 11

robinofloxley - in the first post it states that the aerial works with the tv assuming it is the same socket and cable.

I had a number of problems with tv on pc and getting a signal. I found that the signal has to be fairly strong and my indoor aerial was useless.

misters 19:11 PM 14 Oct 11

I'm pretty sure it is digital but in case it isnt is there a quick way of cheking? I do use the airel in my flat screen tv and it works great only when i plug into pc tv card i dont get a signal, its anoutside aeirel not indoor, so i assume the signal should be strong, would using an extension cable be the problem?

misters 18:32 PM 16 Oct 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 PM 16 Oct 11

would using an extension cable be the problem?

extension for the aerial ? maybe

misters 16:09 PM 18 Oct 11

I'm officially giving up i have tried everything Lazarus The 2nd has advised and still nothing, the only other option is to call hp help desk wich i heard can be a nightmare.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016