Watching videos from laptop on TV via Humax HDR Fox T2

zeppman 14:11 18 Mar 14

I have a T2 freeview with WiFi dongle . I want to watch files that are on my Laptop via my wifi network on my TV through the Humax if possible. I have Tversity installed on my Laptop but it won't detect my humax box. I have heard about Linux but not sure if this is relevant and I would rather use the windows if I can get away with it. I'm not very technical when it comes to setting a home network so can you keep it simple. If this is streaming and not networking please let me know.

Ex plorer 14:28 18 Mar 14

Any good What OS are you running.

zeppman 16:20 18 Mar 14

Windows 7

zeppman 16:46 18 Mar 14

I can see my Humax on my laptop but cant play any files .But I want to be able to play the files on my laptop on my humax

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 18 Mar 14

you can't easily

the files on the box are encrypted and a copy via network doesn't decrypt them.

They are only decrypted when copied to a USB stick or external drive, this is why copying takes so long. HD files are also encrypted further than SD filea and you need a program called foxy to decrypt them before they will play.

If you are willing to risk it - there is custom software for the fox T2 that will Auto unprotect the files and allow you to stream to your laptop, it will also allow you to do lots of other things like set up a recording via internet while away from home.

Have a read of the two links provided.

zeppman 21:36 19 Mar 14

The files I want to watch are on my Laptop but when I go to Media then storage on the Humax to connect to my network it says no server has been found.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 19 Mar 14

You need a program to act as a DLNA server on the laptop something like media monkey

zeppman 16:40 21 Mar 14

I've installed Tversity but didn't humax didn't detect laptop is this the wrong app

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 21 Mar 14

Windows media player 11 will act as a server see here

I used media monkey but now never watch stored humax files on anything but the TV its connected to.

However I do move files around the network for editing and converting using Filezilla.

1. record commercial TV films,

2. copy to external usb drive to remove encryption,

3. transfer to PC over network with Filezilla,

4. remove adverts and convert to avi using Freemake video converter

5. replace on the Humax using Filezilla

6. delete original recording

new avi file takes up less space and is better to watch without adverts e.g. Despicable Me 2hrs with adverts 1hr 23mins without and no moaning from grandson.

1]: [click here

john bunyan 18:11 21 Mar 14

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Sorry to intrude. I do a similar thing, occasionally, with Windows Media Centre on my desktop and burn a DVD to watch on a DVD player and TV. It take ages to do, especially the change in format, never mind the editing. I do, also occasionally do a similar thin with a DVD recorder that has a HD drive. How long does your procedure take , in all? One of my Freeview HD recorders, a Pioneer, has a "Next" facility so you can jump adverts. I sometimes start watching a programme that has adverts about 30 minutes after it has started (in recording mode) and jump the adverts. One day there will hopefully be more such software - certainly a lot quicker than faffing about with editing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 21 Mar 14

JB

my humax also has a skip button for fast forwarding through adverts however I still find with the number of adverts now in a film I lose track, and the one that comes 5 min before the end of a program is really annoying..

Freemake normally converts a .ts file in about half the time the program lasts.

i.e. 1 hr prog takes 30 min to convert but only using XP with 1.7G Ram. hoping with a faster machine and more RAm it will do it faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced