Watching TV on PC

TessB 17:03 02 Dec 04

Hi,

I recently purchased a Win TV PCI card, I attempoted to install this into my system on Windows XP Pro SP2. The OS picked up the new hardware and attempted to install, but Windows failed to install the 'capturing device'.

After following the different registry cleaning processes, pci slot changes, recommended by the hardware manufacturer, I decided to call it a day and purchase a Win TV USB viewer.

Upon attempting to install the new USB viewer, the same problem occured again. Once again I tried registry cleaners, different usb slots, updated drivers etc, following the advice from the manufacturer, yet it still did not install.

Therefore I have given up the ghost at attempting to install wintv and decided that my computer just doesnt want me to watch telly! Until yesterday.

Yesterday I attempted to install a bluetooth USB sender/receiver, this piece of hardware I have used before with no problems yet now it installs all the software that came with it but Windows XP SP2 will not recognise any bluetooth device. Once again I have changed ports etc but still have the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this, I am at my wits end. I am fairly good with computers, could this be a firewall/antivirus issue, or is it a Windwos XP SP2 issue, or heaven forbid a hardware problem?

Any replies would be gratefully received, thanks in advance guys.
Tess

Splodge 17:37 02 Dec 04

Hi

I have a WIN TV on Windows XP SP".

The problem is with the drivers. You not only need the ones on the disk but also those incorporated in Windows.

Go to Control Panel: System: Device Manager: Sound, Video and Game Controllers:

If one or more shows as not working, click on it and follow instructions to install. It should be on your disk

Mine are:

Hauppauge WINTV 878/9 WDM Aux Driver
Hauppauge WINTV 878/9 WDM Video Driver.

john-232317 17:47 02 Dec 04

Maybe some help here, looks like a conflict....

click here=

TessB 17:48 02 Dec 04

Hi,

There was one item in there with a yellow exclamation, when I clicked reinstall drivers it identified itself as Hauppage, but it failed halfway through saying an error had occured.

Any ideas?

john-232317 17:50 02 Dec 04

┬Ěrd one down ???

TessB 17:54 02 Dec 04

i have already downloaded the updated drivers from hauppage and that didnt help. When I rang hauppage they insisted there were no conflict problems with xp sp2 and that it should work fine.

I find it a bit odd as we had this problem with a lexmark printer (which we had to exchnage for a canon in the end) and then the wintv card, and now the bluetooth device.

Tess

Splodge 18:35 02 Dec 04

Maybe, just maybe, your anti-virus is interfering.

Go off-line, disable the antivirus and try again!

Technotiger 18:53 02 Dec 04

Hi, when you first tried to install and the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared did you then let WinXP carry on by itself or did you at that stage insert the Install CD? Cos this is what you should do and make sure 'Install the software automatically' is checked....then "Continue Anyway" and Finish. lol.

jack 20:40 02 Dec 04

Win Tv's can be tricky there is potential for IRQ coflict wich you cannot rectify.
If you must Watch TV - Get a TV.

Technotiger 20:46 02 Dec 04

Hi, WinTV, not just for watching TV, I use mine mostly for capturing pics from video taken by my son overseas - I can then when I wish, print pics etc. lol

TessB 23:24 02 Dec 04

Technotiger,

I have tried both ways of doing it.

I am thinking its either an sp2 issue (Which Microsoft will not agree nor help as its oem self build) or a hardware issue because it is doing it with my bluetooth usb stick and also a lexmark printer i once used.

Mostly it gives a crc error when installing some drivers from the driver cd's. I have tried to use both cd payers i have. However it is not due to bad disks as i have used more then one to erradicate that possibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced