was this wise?

hello, i use reg mechanic 6 and ccleaner, however the other day i found myself watching my security scan (yeah, i know!) and i was amazed, all the bits of removed programs still being scanned, loads!
so today i was having a mess, i....
start>> run regedit.exe
and right click deleted everything that i no longer used or had removed.
before i did this i made a complete ghost recovery and made an image of drive c to an external hdd.
if i run ad aware my running processes has gone from over 3000 to 1632 and pc starts up in 40 seconds, everything seems ok so we will see!
is this what everyone does on a regular basis or have i done the unthinkable?
tia adam

SANTOS7 20:53 20 Feb 07

i run ad aware my running processes has gone from over 3000 to 1632
Don't think so,you have read "process modules" as 1632 which is related to DLL files.
your running processes should read near the 40 mark (typically) both of which seem fine to me..

gudgulf 21:14 20 Feb 07

All those bits your scanner shows are an all to common problem......very few programs uninstall cleanly.

Some leave many megabytes of data in folders scattered around the pc as well as lots of registry entries.

I usually do a manual search to find the debris and run CCleaner and RegCleaner.

I rarely use Regedit to remove registry traces, but it's ok to do that (especially when armed with a full system image....I use Acronis TI for mine).

Mind you,if that's what it takes to clear away any program dregs I will take the same route you have chosen.It can definitely be risky though....one false move and you'll be needing that Ghost image.

You might find this a useful program click here

It takes a different approach to cleaning the registry by giving a list of all the programs seen as installed by Windows.You can pick the one's you no longer have and remove their registry entries.

Bear in mind that no program is 100% effective.

There will always be some things left that you don't find ;))

thanks guys, sorry santos, it is modules and 36running processes.
cant believe how much has built up in the short time i have had the pc
thanks again
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…