warranty void adding hardware ?

ski2002 10:50 14 Apr 03

I was wondering if I was to fit a firewire card into my pc will I void the warranty ?

Giggle n' Bits 10:54 14 Apr 03

It would be best if you contact your PC Manufacturer to double check. They may probably say if its carried out by a Authorised/someone in the trade/qualified etc it will be ok, but DIY and they will cut your off.

If you cause any problems by doing it yourself is why. It may be in your paper work on what you can & cannot do.

Patr100 11:29 14 Apr 03

PCs are meant to be upgradable although a few exceptions seal the case to deter this and insist on doing the upgrading themselves. If you caused a problem with a botched install of any hardware they are unlikely to rectify it for you for nothing, however if the fault was unconnected with any additions you made - such as say, a faulty power supply or failed hard disk then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to claim on your warrenty.

Megatyte 12:08 14 Apr 03

I agree with Patr100.

AH

-pops- 15:04 14 Apr 03

It was the whole idea of IBM when they invented and marketed the Personal Computer that it should be fully accessible and upgradable. Any manufacturer not permitting this is going against the whole IBM philosophy.

It was Steve Jobs of Apple with his MAC computer that didn't like people poking around inside.

Brian

cracker23 15:15 14 Apr 03

I've got a Dell PC and in the owners manual there is a chapter that gives details how to put in memory,cards,drives etc.

Patr100 15:18 14 Apr 03

What make of PC do you have?

Mango Grummit 17:38 14 Apr 03

Before upgrading a six week old computer I e-mailed your question to my supplier asking for e-mailed confirmation that warranty would still be OK. He was happy to do that. I suggust you do the same -- it's better to be safe than sorry. Like all insurance, if they can get out of paying they will!

hellred 18:02 14 Apr 03

If they say you cant upgrade it, will you let them do it for £ 200.00 or would you rather take the chance and instal this yourself and 90% of the time there is no problem. Whilst saving a chunk of money.
What if there is a problem, they would claim the software is at fault or the vendor supplying the card will say its the OS they installed is a problem etc. Each will blame the other and no one will take responsibility.
Instal yourself and if there is a problem, we are here to sort that out, just look around you, there is a solution to every problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…