warranty seal broken

SusieC 09:01 27 Aug 09

Hi
Can anyone help? I've just taken delivery of a new computer. The base unit has a broken warranty seal and one of the side panel screws was loose in the box. I have sent 3 e mails with no responses but when I phoned the firm I was told that "the seal will have broken in transit"
So did the screw unscrew itself? "well it might not have been properly tighten up"
How do I know that I have got what I've paid for, and where is the warranty in this??
Help!!
SusieC

Technotiger 09:09 27 Aug 09

I doubt very much whether a warranty seal could just 'break' like that. How did you pay? If by Credit card, perhaps you should contact your Bank for their advice - and tell the Firm what you are doing and that you can not accept their explanation.

Technotiger 09:10 27 Aug 09

You could also contact your local Trading Standards office, again telling the firm what you are doing.

interzone55 09:14 27 Aug 09

If the screw on the side panel wasn't fully fastened the it could well work loose. This could lead to the panel shifting and breaking the seal.

But having said that, the PC should have been packed in a way that would have stopped the side panel shifting.

Also, I feel that a PC, which is by it's very nature upgradable, should not have a warranty seal, especially as one of the first questions tech support will ask is are all the internal cables properly seated. How do you check that without breaking the seal - did they supply x-ray glasses with the PC.

My advise, if it isn't too late, would be to photograph the PC in situ, then pull it out of the packaging, photograph it well to highlight any possible damage. Open the PC up and check everything is OK onside - if anything at all is lose I'd contact the supplier and request that it be returned, at their expense, and thoroughly checked over. Offer to email the photographs as proof of it's poor packaging...

SusieC 10:46 27 Aug 09

The outer box was fine and the inner packaging was solid and didn't slip about when I was getting the base unit out. It is fairly expensive--£1800--I've been saving up!
I did pay by credit card so will contact my bank and the trading standards people if I don't get any joy soon.
I'm not a mega techie person so would be unlikely to go inside the box but no doubt with diagrams could identify the graphics cards, hard drives but how do I know that the processor chip is there??

crosstrainer 11:04 27 Aug 09

Return under the sale of goods act...Seals don't break, and as you correctly point out, screws remain tight until a screwdriver has been used.

Insist on replacement, or refund.

SusieC 13:36 27 Aug 09

Umm
Have now picked up a phone message (presumably they don't want to use e mail) to say that I should start up the pc and check via the system that everything is there. Friends have said that there's allsorts that could have been removed and replaced by less expensive products. I don't want to cast aspersions on people but on the other hand I don't want to be naive......

john bunyan 13:36 27 Aug 09

I agree with crosstrainer.Dont use it.

Technotiger 14:12 27 Aug 09

£1,800 Wowwww, I would certainly NOT be pushed about by any firm for that amount of cash! You have every right to Demand a NEW Product!!

I would get onto your bank immediately, also Trading Standards. There are plenty of very good firms out there that would give you much better service for your money.

As a matter of interest - who is the firm?

Technotiger 14:18 27 Aug 09

You could also tell the Firm that you have sought advice on-line, at the PC Advisor Helproom site.

PCA is very well known World-wide, I am sure that should shake them up a bit :-)

I am Spartacus 14:40 27 Aug 09

I think I would get confirmation in writing that the broken seal won't affect your warranty, providing you're happy with it though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5