WARRANTY PERIOD

Bonzy 10:42 22 Nov 05

Hello friends, when choosing to buy a software product/package do I need to worry about warranty? Thanx in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 10:46 22 Nov 05

All depends on what it is you want it for - generally speaking, software does not need a warranty.

Technical support can come in handy though for sorting out conflicts or if you are unfamiliar with the product. Same too with product support to tell you how to use it.

Some linux distributions allow for a 60 day installtion helpline.

spuds 11:35 22 Nov 05

Software seems to be a very 'grey area' product, on the warranty score. All the major retailers seem to insist that there is a no refund legal policy, and possible replacement at their sole discretion.Consumer law could perhaps suggest otherwise,under the term 'not fit for the purpose'. The problem being, in interpretation of fit for the purpose. Scratched disk, doesn't quite come upto expectations, doesn't actually do the job the box may suggest, won't actually run etc etc.

Yesterday, I was in a very well known mainly food and consumer item store, with outlets throughout the UK.A argument developed with a customer at the helpdesk, and management was requested.Apparently, the customer had purchased on Sunday last, a computer game. On returning home the game would not play. The store said that they had no facility to test the game, and they had no stock replacement available. No cash refund was possible.The result of that scene, was the customer telephoning trading standards on their mobile for further advice. The best point of the argument, was the very prominent store signs stating 'Quality Guaranteed, Quality always,or we'll refund and replace'.Don't know the final outcome, as the customer was still debating the issue when I left.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now