Warranty Extension

dantheman161 13:28 23 Aug 07

Hi

Last year I bought an Acer laptop from Comet for £450.00. I did not take an extended warranty sticking with the one year guarantee.

Comet are now asking me to extend for one more year at £100.00 or £7.50 per month.

I am trying to decide whether to extend the warranty and would seek advice on your thoughts, or I understand under the sale of goods act a PC should have a 4 year 'life span' and should anything go wrong I am covered.

Diemmess 13:49 23 Aug 07

!!! [should have a 4 year 'life span'] !!

I am too often wrong, but while a 1 year limited warranty is usual, any longer is I think a matter for the retailer's policy at the point of sale.

In a sideways look, the cost of extra cover is often an indication of the likelihood of having to honour an extended warranty.

A tower PC is one thing, a laptop quite another. It is designed for miniature size components and low battery drain.

As to whether to pay the premium or risk going bare...... that is your decision.

hereford456 13:59 23 Aug 07

For peace of mind it may well be worth it.
But what does it cover & what does it not cover?
Accidential damage would be worth the policy if it covers it!

Al94 14:19 23 Aug 07

Seems very expensive. I bought a three year extended warranty from Dell for my own laptop with "at home repair" for about £120. This was taken out just when the first years warranty was about to expire. Might be worth bargaining with them.

spuds 16:42 23 Aug 07

If you have household insurance, check with that company. You could also try the manufacturer direct, because some provide extended cover at a much less premium.

Alternatively click here wwwinsureandgo.com/computer-insurance.html

spuds 16:45 23 Aug 07

Whoops, 2nd link click here click here

Woolwell 17:10 23 Aug 07

Try Acer themselves.

dantheman161 13:47 05 Sep 07

Hi

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Acer do not do an extended warranty themselves one needs to be bought through another provider. So I have paid £50 + VAT for one with Laptopdirect which gives me another 2 years. As I did not take out the warranty within 90 days I do not get accidental cover - but I get this with my home insurance.

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac