WARNING "your're infected" on screen

ozzymodo 21:57 06 Mar 11

Hi all, my daughter asked me today if I could get her pc running (she is using Vista) and when she logs onto to her user on the laptop she has a blue screen that says WARNING YOUR'RE INFECTED and goes on to say that she needs to get a spyware remover as her pc and life could be threatened, and she owes it to her family, children, boss etc.
I scanned it with microsoft security but it did not report anything, I then disabled sys rest and re booted and started ok
and it came up again and it also said that a few things were infected and to use/update PC Health but there was no icon for microsoft security in the task bar. I used my pc and downloaded onto a cd the STINGER prog to run a check and it has come up with the following
"C\windows\system32\macromedia\flash\uninstall_activeX exe
Found the FakeAlert.REP trojan
Next line says that windows etc is infected with the Fake Alert virus and could not be repaired.

Is this a genuine virus or one of the fake ones that get's you to download a so called prog? My daughter is hoping I can save her pc as she recently uploaded a load of pics of her fone of my grandson and she would hate to lose them.
My other query is that when I log on her pc using her partners user id then all seems ok, tho this is where I am able to do the scan and the message came up.
Any help appreciated, thanks
Ian
PS as I type this her pc is still being scanned

isca2 22:02 06 Mar 11

Type FakeAlert.REP trojan into a google search. There may be something there that could help you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 06 Mar 11

You need to run malwarebtyes on it click here

ozzymodo 22:22 06 Mar 11

thanks iscanut, I typed into google but did not get an exact match, and I have malwarebytes on my pc fruit bat so will transfer file across, but will use a cd in case dongle becomes infected, just hope I can install it and run it, the scan finished with stinger but the setting was not on to Delete the virus , so I have altered setting and re scanning.
Thanks again for taking time to reply
Ian

birdface 22:22 06 Mar 11

You could try this and see if it does what it says.

To remove false security programs

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
5. Activate Free Licence
6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

Or download update and run the free version of Malwarebytes like Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested.

ozzymodo 22:27 06 Mar 11

thanks buteman, will do that asap, will let the re scan finish and see if it removes it now that preferences is set to remove/delete infected files.
Will update when done all suggested remedies.
Ian

ashdav 14:11 07 Mar 11

Link to Hitman Pro downloads to save Googling click here

ozzymodo 22:01 16 Mar 11

Thanks to all who replied with help and info, I used the hitman and then loaded and ran widows microsoft security essential pro and all ok. Again thankyou all and soz for late thanks but av been busy this week.
Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009