Warning note in Event Viewer

iscanut2 20:09 23 May 08

I noticed this warning in my error log. Not an error as such but I am wondering if anyone can tell me what it means and what I should do, if anything. Everything seems to work and I am not aware of problems when connecting to the net via my Netgear router. I have checked and my services show me rinning as Local service, so I don't know what it means !

"Windows saved user MR-1BD63F50CD49\Mr Nutall registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

User Action
No user action is required.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see click here."

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 23 May 08

You switched off while windows was backing up the registry.

Some virtual memory contains part of the back up and was not wiped when windows shut down.

Nothing to worry about as it will have freed it up on the next reboot.

iscanut2 21:41 23 May 08

I always closedown properly and this message appears in Event Viewer every time I log off. I have to say that the shutdown takes well over a minute, so it must be backing up the registry first. As you say, nothing to worry about, but I am just inquisitive.

dfh 06:48 24 May 08

Have a look at this if its XP click here
I have it running on my machine

iscanut2 11:04 24 May 08

Thanks, will give it a go.

Stuartli 14:40 24 May 08

The Event Viewer normally (at least in my case) contains a number of "errors", none of which seem anything to worry about.

iscanut2 16:35 24 May 08

I agree with you but am a tinkerer and just curious about some of the warnings. Sometimes I wish I had left well alone ! Thanks to the little Microsoft patch advised by dfh, this particular information message no longer appears in the log.

dfh 18:22 24 May 08

Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…