Warning New Direct X Update caused major probs!!

Downloaded windows DX9 update today and it turned my PC into a pig of a machine!! Instead of acting like a dream machine (£ mths old) it was pretending to be about 50yrs old, and seizing up and taking repeated clicks of mouse for any command to be recognised. Have uninstalled it now and seems to be ok again (fingers crossed!)

Crash 12:56 09 Jun 04

just installed it, everything alright here.

iscanut2 12:56 09 Jun 04

Also installed this fix, but with no apparent problems !!
I had version DX9.0b before I installed. Don't know if that's significant.

Must be my Pc then- I had real probs with it and they seem resolved now- prob a clash with something!

Stuartli 14:55 09 Jun 04

DirectX 9.0b is still the only version listed on the Microsoft.com DirectX home page.

Smiler 16:42 09 Jun 04

what is the link to the "fix" you used?

dagwoood 17:58 09 Jun 04

Nuts was refering to a new critical update for Windows that resolves a security flaw in Direct X.

Just go to click here and scan.

As per other forum members,I haven't experienced any problems after installing it(famous last words).

dagwoood.

Smiler 18:31 09 Jun 04

just checked here click here;en-us;829778

The critical update only applies to versions before 9.0b but if you perform a system update this click here;en-us;829778 may happen so follow the procedure outlined.

Meshuga 18:34 09 Jun 04

I downloaded this latest one. No ill effect so far. Meshuga.

christmascracker 18:38 09 Jun 04

The DirectX 9 update (on my PC anyway) was Hotfix 839643

click here

Smiler 18:39 09 Jun 04

Sorry error in last post

The above refer to Knowlege base articles 819696 (MS03-030: Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise) and 829778 (Security update for Windows (819696) is re-offered even though DirectX 9.0b is installed)

Go here click here then enter the article number and search this will bring up the correct pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…