Warning message re script?

Muergo 11:01 30 Aug 10

I get this message fairly frequently, "There is a script on your computer that may cause it to be unresponsive, do you want to abort this script""

No more explanation, I don't notice any difference if I click yes or no.

To what does it refer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 30 Aug 10

Do you only get this when on the internet?

Muergo 11:31 30 Aug 10

I am permanently on the internet, I don't understand what you mean by "on", there are usually several screens running, I may be comparing prices between one retailer and another, flicking between the two, and when doing this the e-mail input is always on alert, plus in the extreme, I could be recording/streaming from BBC iPlayer or Spotify but not listening to it.

It has always been well within the capability of the system, but this message seems to indicate one particular site or "script"? which is causing trouble but does not give a link to say which one.

provider 2 11:50 30 Aug 10

Just a suggestion, but you might want to try going to the Java control panel> Advanced> Miscellaneous and remving the tick from Java Quickstart.

Alternatively, check in Task Manager to see if svchost.exe is using CPU every twenty seconds or so , accompanied by nothing more than a twitch from jqs.exe or perhaps one of the Adobe exe s.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 30 Aug 10

Try updating your Flash player

Muergo 12:40 30 Aug 10

A thank you to both of you for your suggestions, I will go through them one by one .

I do routinely get a message on start-up about svchost fault, but I usually just put OK and carry on, I don't know what's happening there either.

I do run ASC every day and routinely Malwarebytes and SAS all giving a clean no nasties report.

There is always something on ASC to repair, but that just fixes itself.

provider 2 13:55 30 Aug 10

Probably not malware, but something in a legitimate program (or update) that has a script error of some sort.

svchost. exe will be trying to start (whatever it is) but but failing again and again because of this script error ... and ASC may well be incapable of fixing it.

Sounds like guesswork? Probably is, but have a look in Event Viewer> Application to see if there are any clues as to what`s going wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…