warning! disk write caching is disabled

pookie 21:03 24 Jun 05

hi

windows xp home, 3 Ghz barton, 1 Gb ddr, 40 Gb 5400 hard drive (storage) and new maxtor 80 Gb 7200 hard drive (xp, games,etc), asus a7n8x-x mobo, x800 pro, on board sound, 550 watt psu - all drivers up to date.

Just ran bootvis and under disk I/O section in big red letters it says 'warning! - disk write caching is disabled' - is this anything I should worry about. I got the 80Gb maxtor drive as it was faster speed and also 8Mb cache which i thought might improve games performance. Do i need to do anything to get that 8Mb cache actually working based on the error message?

cheers and have a good weekend

P

pookie 22:30 24 Jun 05

bump

dagwoood 23:48 24 Jun 05

pookie, navigate to device manager > disk drives and double click on your 80GB Maxtor drive to bring up the properties. Click on the Policies tab and see if there's a tick in the bottom box labelled "Enable write caching on the disk". If there isn't a tick, put one in and see if that cures the problem.

HTH, dagwoood.

dan11 00:00 25 Jun 05

have you checked in device manager > disk drives > policies. Is " enable write caching on this disk" ticked.

If it is, it should be alright.

If you are unsure on the performance. pop over to pcpitstop and performance test the slave drive for Mb's transfer speed.

dan11 00:01 25 Jun 05

Should have refreshed. lol

pookie 17:40 25 Jun 05

thanks guys - 'Click on the Policies tab and see if there's a tick in the bottom box labelled "Enable write caching on the disk". If there isn't a tick, put one in and see if that cures the problem.' is grey out and i can't hihlight an option however the defaulted setting is 'optimise for performance' - it's the same for the second hard drive. maybe all is ok and bootvis is wrong?

P

Mr Mistoffelees 17:47 25 Jun 05

but there is no such thing as a "3 Ghz barton". the Barton core never went beyond 2.2GHz with the Athlon XP 3200+.

pookie 19:34 25 Jun 05

2.17 3000Barton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…