Warning - Another RPC Virus On Its Way

Jester2K II 18:51 13 Aug 03

click here

Spybot RPC - your AV will not detect it until your AV vendor releases a patch for it & you have updated.

Don't leave it too late. Get the MS RPC Patch now - click here. This will stops the virus sending itself to your PC.

Also MSBlaster B - Variant of the original click here

Djohn 19:25 13 Aug 03

Once again, many thanks for your info! j.

barrie_g 19:38 13 Aug 03

as above It's people like you that make the net a nicer place to be;-))

Mino 20:10 13 Aug 03

For a quick fix on the situation get a firewall. No need to download either, check out cover discs of a few PC magazines, as Zone Alarm is free where available. (PC Advisor to name just one!)

It does work, so even if your AV software is out of date, the firewall will prevent any access issues. However, don't get compacent - get current AV updates.

Ken Ju-On 20:10 13 Aug 03

A bundle of thanks from me too! It's indeed conscientious and helpful users like you that make the Internet a pleasure to use. :)

VoG II 21:28 13 Aug 03

Forum Editor 21:56 13 Aug 03

useful link.

click here

This threat underlines the need for increasing vigilance when it comes to online security. Not many people realise that one of the most dangerous things a computer user can do is to be online (particularly for long periods) when logged into a computer as an administrator. The average tiime taken for the W.32 Blaster worm to find and infect a new computer in the UK dropped to around 9 seconds today, which is a sobering thought.

Make sure that you are not online with administrator priviledges, and keep up to date with security patches and anti-virus updates. Nothing should be left to chance nowadays.

As someone once famously said: "Something wicked this way comes".

Ken Ju-On 22:06 13 Aug 03

Or better yet, use Linux, the virtually virus-free heaven. :)

toxin 22:19 13 Aug 03

Once again many thanks Jester!

May I suggest a visit to the Sophos website, and a look at the News Items therein would be to everyone's benefit.

Lookout for Friday, if you havn't got the MS patch installed!

Young Ranger 23:03 13 Aug 03

How do I find out if I have 32 bit or 64 bit edition of Win XP ?

Belatucadrus 23:39 13 Aug 03

Jester you are just one huge bundle of laughs this week.

Keep up the good work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…