Wanting wireless internet basic question

nar 14:16 13 Dec 05

Sorry about how basic this is. I have looked on previous messages but need some pretty basic advice which is...

I have broadband internet hooked into my pc via a usb modem. I want rid of the cables so what will i need to get to allow this to happen?

Many thanx

Hamish 14:20 13 Dec 05

Try click here for information

mgmcc 14:23 13 Dec 05

You need to replace the USB modem with a combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" and install a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC.

anskyber 14:27 13 Dec 05

Hamish I know you are trying to be helpful and I was also interested in your answer. But have you gone on to read the reviews towards the bottom of the link you have given. The product is totally panned.

rmcqua 14:28 13 Dec 05

This particular one might not be the best recommendation, in view of the awful reviews it had received in the DSL Warehouse article.
But, NAR, there are lots of ADSL wireless gateways or access points (a combined dsl modem and wireless router) out there.
Here's a link with about 20 on it.
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 13 Dec 05

You can do it without a router click here

mgmcc 14:51 13 Dec 05

<<< You can do it without a router >>>

That article relates to setting up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network between two computers and enabling Internet Connection Sharing on a "host" which has a wired connection to a modem.

To go "wireless" with a single computer is, as far as I know, going to require a router or, at least, an ADSL modem that supports an ethernet connection into which a Wireless Access Point can be plugged.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 13 Dec 05

May have misread / mis interpretted the question

Hamish 16:14 13 Dec 05

anskyber,the link was for infromation only as nar requested and it was not a recommendation for any product. I use a BTVoyager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…