wanting a domain name

I am producing a web site and am now considering hosting and more important at the moment a domain name.

I have heard that there is a new 'dot' type i.e. '.ws'. Is this true and could I use it for private stuff (with perhaps a bit of business on the side)?

Is '.me.uk' worth having (I am finding the names I want are more or less gone! Also where is it best to buy my domain names? Although I am prepared to consider a complete host package for about £5/mth, I want independance between name and hoster. A little confused generally on this front. Perhaps there is somewhere I can read in depth about this. Trying not to end up a right plonker with something I do'nt want.

On the Host front I have looked at 1&1 (looks good for a novice but do I need their software as I am plunging in with MX and CSS), Fasthosts, and will soon look at namesco.

Some general airing and directing would be appreciated before I commit. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…