Wanted: XP CD drivers

seanquinn 12:29 03 Dec 03

My XP Home system reports that my CD drvers are "missing or damaged". Is there any where I can get replacement drivers to download.

Obviously they are on my Windows CD but I can't use that !

pj123 12:55 03 Dec 03

CD Drivers?? Never heard of CD drivers. CD Disk Drives should be detected in the BIOS. Or do you mean the CD burning software?

alcudia 13:03 03 Dec 03

There are no specific drivers for CD drives. The O/S provides all that is necessary. If your problem is with the drive itself the best thing to do it select in device manager and press the remove button. Restart the machine and it should be picked up again and reinstalled. If you continue to get this message afterwards there is likely to be a corrupt registry entry. If this has only just started happening could you use System Restore to roll back.

Also What specifically is on your Windows CD?

Stuartli 15:20 03 Dec 03

As stated Windows provides the basic driver for CD/DVD-ROM and rewriter drives and this is all that is required - most people get drivers confused with firmware and whether the latter should or should not be updated.

Windows has to make a CD driver available initially from a bootup disk otherwise you couldn't install the OS from a CD-ROM.

If you look in System Information>Drives you will see CDROM1 (CDROM2 etc) drivers included in your drive(s)' detailed information.

Stuartli 15:22 03 Dec 03

If you are still having problems with the CD drive's driver after removing and reinstalling, you should let SFC find and replace it from your OS disk.

smegs 16:49 03 Dec 03

click here try this link. As long as U know Ur CD rom.

seanquinn 17:07 03 Dec 03

I can'r run the OS disc becuse the CD Rives aren't working !

Also the system refuses to restore either !

seanquinn 21:44 03 Dec 03

The Problem turned out to be damaged Registry Entries caused by the (probably badly handled) uninstallation of Kazaa Media Desktop.

I found the answer at: click here;en-us;314060&Product=winxp

Article NO: 314060 is abaout what can happen after an uninstall of Easy Cd Creator, but uninstalling Kazaa seems to have had the same effect.

After deleting the offending registry entries, I found I had to re-install my copy od ECDC too(which I hadn't uninstalled to begin with...actually I found that there was an update available and that did the job anyway) but it wasn't ECDC that caused the problem, I am sure it was Kazaa.

Device manager was saying that the drivers were missing or damged but it was a bad registrty entry that cuased the drives to disappear. Be warned !

seanquinn 21:52 03 Dec 03

The "Click Here" function didn't pick up that address correctly. Let's try putting it in brackets.

<click here;en-us;314060&Product=winxp>

seanquinn 21:54 03 Dec 03

Nope that didn't work either.

Anyway its Microsoft Article No. 314060 and it's at "support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060&Product=winxp"

click here

Hover the mouse to reveal the Microsoft links format.

Credits VoG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…