Wanted: Thin Client advice

Raywood 18:50 04 Jul 06

At work I have to log on to a thin client session on a server. This is where a central server is expected to serve multiple user like a desktop pc would serve one user.

However I am becoming increasingly frustrated because as part of thin client, screen up dates get fed back to the computer. I often get to the stage where most of the screen, except random icons, turns 'taskbar grey'. This seems to happen randomly with basic applications like Outlook and Word. The user/system support team seem to be stumped by this problem and openly admit that they do not have any idea as to what may cause the problem.

Does anyone here have experience/ideas for thin client systems?

Forum Editor 19:19 04 Jul 06

running Windows server 2003, and is SP1 installed?

If it is, has the problem started since the SP1 instal?

silverous 19:21 04 Jul 06

I presume you are using Citrix?

When this happens does the session freeze i.e. you have no control over the applications or is it just a display thing and you can carry on starting apps, clicking, typing etc. when this happens?

Raywood 19:26 06 Jul 06

The server is Windows 2000 terminal server (sp 4 I think).

I think that when the screen messes up, I still have control. I can save documents and log off, almost blindly though. Some parts of the screen do change, for example if I click Microsoft outlook I get the tree with the inbox, sent items, calendar, etc. on the left of the screen.

Having been in this situation about nine or ten times. I am begining to think the problem lies with the thin client viewer. The computer I use to access thin client is a modified Windows 9x, which locks you into making an RDP (???) connection.

The only other thing that the computer will allow me to do is shutdown, as long as a dll file does not fail to start. The computer has a sense of humour :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…