Want WPA-PSK Security but connection on off on off

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 20:26 23 Oct 05

Hi all.

I have a Netgear DG834GT hardwired to my desktop, then a laptop, another desktop and a PDA all connected... Internet Access, File Sharing etc on all.

This is with 128bit WEP encrytion enabled, however after reading so much about how easy it is for someone to crack WEP with some readily available software, I've decided I want to switch to WPA-PSK security, and thought it would be an easy thing to do.

Unfortunately, when I set the router to this form of encryption, and update the wireless software on each client with the network key(laptop etc), the connection blinks.

Connected at 12mbps for 5 seconds, then disconnected for 5, then connected for 5, then disconnected for 5 (you get the picture). Anyone know why this is the case? I can of course just use WEP, but I don't want to use it.

I'd be so grateful if someone could tell me why this is happening.

I've tried restoring the router factory defaults, then adding in the the WPA security, but it still happens.

Thanks ever so much.

bremner 20:31 23 Oct 05

If someone wants to access your system then they will crack WPA - PSK click here

The real question is why would they want too?

People search for insecure networks to do a bit of surfing. They are not interested in breaking WEP /WPA or Mac filtering.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 20:34 23 Oct 05

I still want WPA-PSK, as it IS more secure than WEP. So any ideas as to why this is happening, and how I can get it working, would be well received.

Just to clarify, when WPA-PSK is on, the hard-wired desktop can connect to the net fine. It's just the wireless workstations that blink.

woodchip 20:34 23 Oct 05

You have to save the settings in Router then switch it off, you also need to switch all other things off comps etc, restart router after five minutes. let all light stop flashing then you can switch on comps etc one by one allowing to fully boot before trying

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 20:53 23 Oct 05

Thanks woodchip, just tried that, however nothing has changed. I really don't understand why it's like this, and would like to get it sorted before I go to bed, so would appreciate further advice, thanks.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 21:13 23 Oct 05

I've just tried switching to the Windows wireless admin software, and all seems well.

I do however want to only use the Netgear software, so would still be most appreciative of a reply.

woodchip 21:19 23 Oct 05

If you are using a Laptop with a Ethernet port, but you have instaled a Card in the slot you need to go into Device Manager and disable the Onboard Ethernet. That's what I had to do with my Laptop

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 21:47 23 Oct 05

Thanks for your time woodchip, much appreciated.

I managed to get it all working after installing a new protocal called AEGIS. NEver heard of this before, but aparrently I need it for WPA encryption!

woodchip 21:58 23 Oct 05

Well I use different Router, Its a 3Com. But glad to see you got it working

Chegs ® 23:35 23 Oct 05

Went looking,found this...

DescriptionAEGIS Client provides enterprise-class wireless LAN security for the Palm™Tungsten C™, a premier handheld device for professional users. AEGISClient, the proven 802.1X software solution from Meetinghouse, isdownloadable from the Meetinghouse website [click here] forpurchase or free, 30-day evaluation.AEGIS Wireless LAN security provides the Palm Tungsten C handheld withsupport for Cisco-LEAP (Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol), apopular authentication method and EAP-MD5. Cisco-LEAP provides theenterprise with a high level of WLAN security because it enforces mutualauthentication. This means both the user and the access point to which theuser is attempting to connect must authenticate one-to-the-other beforenetwork access is granted, thus protecting corporate information assets.AEGIS Wireless LAN Security provides user and network authentication thataugments the Palm Tungsten C handheld’s existing features that includeintegrated Wi-Fi support, a built-in keyboard, and the most memory and powerof any Palm branded device.AEGIS Client offers solutions for Windows, non-Windows environments andhandheld devices including PPC 2002, Mobile 2003, CE .NET 4.1/4.2, PalmTungsten C, and Sharp Zaurus SL-6000.
Page 2
Operating SystemThe Palm Tungsten C runs thePalm OS 5 operating system.AEGIS only supports this operatingsystem in the Palm handheldenvironment and only on the PalmTungsten C. The operating systemresides on the latest ROM (i.e.,ROM 10B) from Palm. A few PalmTungsten Cs were marketed withan earlier ROM, but a downloadfrom Palm will provide the requiredupdating in order to run AEGIS:click here for assigning a password.EAP MethodsAEGIS for Palm Tungsten Csupports both Cisco-LEAP andEAP-MD5. Use of Cisco-LEAPrequires a Cisco access point.MD5, although not as secure asLEAP, due to its lack of support formutual authentication, will run withAEGIS on any 802.1X access point.Pricing and AvailabilityAEGIS Wireless Security for thePalm Tungsten C handheld isdownloadable from theMeetinghouse web site directlyonto your Palm Tungsten Chandheld. It retails for $29.95.To download go to theMeetinghouse download center atclick here memory requirements forboth AEGIS Client and its supportlibraries are 304Kb (74KB forAEGIS and 230 KB for thelibraries).A user’s view is provided byAEGIS Client which providesaccess to a registration dialoguebox; an about dialogue box; andthe version number. There is alsoan uninstall function included.A help function provides userswith the documentation they needfor AEGIS for Palm Tungsten C.AEGIS for Palm Tungsten Crequires a standard 802.1X WLANenvironment consisting of:supplicants (clients), accesspoints, and AAA/RADIUS Servers.TestingAEGIS for Palm Tungsten C hasbeen tested with Cisco-LEAP onthe following Cisco access points;AP 350, AP 1100, and AP1200;plus ACS and RADIUSservers from Meetinghouse andFunk. EAP-MD5 has been testedwith 802.1X access points fromOrinoco and Enterasys.Screen for selecting an EAP type.SupportSupport is provided to ITpersonnel and networkadministrators through theTechnical Support Contact Centerof the Meetinghouse website:click here International Drive, Suite 100Portsmouth, NH 03801PH 1.603.430.7710FX 1.603.430.8436Web click here

Seems that the AEGIS protocol not cfg'ed is the reason your WiFi was intermittent,I found another bit of blurb that said something about intermittent connectivity on Cisco kit until it was enabled.

Chegs ® 23:38 23 Oct 05

Whoops! Formats gone awol,but its still possible to get the gist of the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…