Want to swap laptop hard drive ?

NickLovett 18:48 01 May 03

I have a small 4Gb laptop hard drive and an external AMACOM 10Gb Flipdisk which connects via the PCMCIA slot. I would like to remove the 10Gb hard drive from the flipdisk enclosure (very easy) and install it into my laptop (also easy), and put the 4Gb hard drive back into the flipdisk.

What would be the best way to prepare the external hard drive before the swap. Ideally I would like the external hard drive to be exactly the same as the smaller drive when I first boot up my laptop after the swap. My external drive is currently my F: drive. What is the best software to use to create an exact copy which will bootable ? I will not be able to boot from the PCMCIA flipdisk, as far as I am aware as it needs windows to be up to be recognised ???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Nick Lovett

eccomputers 19:27 01 May 03

I'm confused. Are you saying that you want to clone the 4gb hard drive onto the 10gb so you can put the 10gb into the laptop as a permanent boot drive?

NickLovett 20:52 01 May 03

that is correct...would I be better off moving everything off the 10Gb (1-2Gb in total) onto the 4Gb before removing it and then using fdisk on the 10Gb and doing a fresh install of Windows98SE etc ?

Switcher 21:53 01 May 03

If you have use of a PC

Buy a couple of IDE to Laptop HDD converter cables Only a few pounds from Maplin.

Connect both laptop HDD to the PC using these cables then use GHOST to clone the 4GB to the 10GB then refit to 10GB laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now