want to stop C drive being expanded

peejayryt 18:40 28 Mar 03

I want to keep my 'C' drive closed until want to open it. I may want to look in my other drives first. Can this be done. Thanks

MAJ 18:53 28 Mar 03

Yes it's possible, peejayryt. Right click on the Windows Explorer icon on your desktop, choose Properties and change the "Target" to:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

That will stop your C: drive from being extended.

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,D:\ will open your D: drive.

MAJ 18:55 28 Mar 03

Forgot to say, peejayryt, that's for Windows XP.

flecc 20:39 28 Mar 03

Here's the gen for other Windows versions.

To open a different drive letter in Explorer, for example drive E, go to a Windows Explorer shortcut in Start/Programs, or on the desktop, right click it and select properties. Then on the Shortcut Tab, change the Target line in the window to read exactly as follows:-

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /e,/ select,E:\ .

Do not include that full stop at the end, as it's only there to stop this site messing up the format. Otherwise, every detail of that line is important, including the spaces after EXE and before select if the line is to work.

If adding a folder to be opened in the shortcut, for example, My Photos where the name has spaces included, it's necessary to enclose the destination with inverted commas thus:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /e/ select,"E:\My Photos"

The other ways of opening Explorer will still be available:-

From My Computer right click/explore, giving drives closed.

From the Start Button right click/explore, giving the traditional view with drive C and the Windows Folder open.

By pressing Winkey + E which gives Explorer with drives closed. (Winkey=flying flag)

Finally, you can of course substitute any other drive letter in the last position only on that target line I've given.

peejayryt 21:47 28 Mar 03

Thanks for replies. What I want is for W/Explorer to show all my drives but none expanded. I'm not sure what you say will do this? am I right?

peejayryt 18:41 29 Mar 03

flecc. Have read your reply again - penultimate line- thanks didnt catch on before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…