Want to reduce Recovery partition on H.Drive?

buel 17:12 29 Nov 09

Hi,
I currently have a Medion laptop that has a 55gb Hard Drive that is split into two: The C Drive is 39.9gb and the D Drive 'Recover' is currently 15.9gb but the recovery data stored on it is only 3.79gb so i was wondering if i could reduce the partition size by, say, 10 gb to free up the C Drive! please could someone recommend a way to do this please and is it recommended?
Thank you in advance for any answers!

howard64 17:19 29 Nov 09

it depends on what prog you have or operating system. With vista you can click on a drive and shrink it. With xp you must use something like partition manager. Make sure you have everything backed up as you could lose everything altering partitions.

BRYNIT 19:29 29 Nov 09

Changing the partition size on a Medion computer may prevent you from using the application and support disk to restore the computer to factory settings. You may only be able to use the Recovery disk which has a copy of the OS on to do a clean install.

If you ever phone Medion due to a fault under warrantee they usually ask you to reset the computer to factory default to eliminate any possible conflicts with any program/drivers you have installed.

If the computer goes back for repair it will be reset to its original partition sizes and all your data will be lost.

If you want to try and resize the partitions of your hard drive you could try EASEUS Partition Manager click here

Remember to backup all files just in case something goes wrong.

woodchip 19:48 29 Nov 09

If you change partitions you risk the recovery cd not working. I have two Medions but they have three partitions C:\ with OS D:\Backup and E:\recover

woodchip 19:49 29 Nov 09

PS you should be still able to load programs to D:\ using Custom Install, or use it as a backup

cream. 19:50 29 Nov 09

Use the space on the D drive to store pictures, documents, music etc, instead of storing them on the C drive.

That way you won't bugger up the back up partition.

cream. 19:52 29 Nov 09

has just posted before me ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 29 Nov 09

Do not change the size of the partitions, the extra space on the recovery partition is required by the recovery process.

If you want extra storage then purchase an external usb drive, or clone the drive to a larger one (but you will need cloning program and an external drive to do it.

buel 22:35 29 Nov 09

Excellent advice, thank you all!

ok, i shall listen to your advice and leave it alone! I didn't realise that you could clone your hard drive to a larger capacity one!

Im going to buy a new laptop very soon but it seems such a shame to waste this Medion as it's been a cracker for what it is (£400, 3 years ago but with a poor Intel Celeron M CPU 0 @6ghz and 55gb hard drive) and i cant help but want to increase the Ram from 1.5gb to the maximum of 4gb and i was playing with the idea of replacing the hard drive with either a faster speed one or even a ssd, any thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…