Want to rebuild pc but dont know where to start..

Murderdolly666 00:52 21 Jul 10

Hello, First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've been given an eMachines 620 pc (I'll state specs in a moment) as I don't have a computer and am wondering if anyone can help me work out what I should upgrade on it. Generally, I would be using it for the internet like msn, watching anime online occasionally, most likely a little bit of gaming and storing music.

Currently it is:

Intel Pentium 4
2.8Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
512mb DDR Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
80 GB hard drive (Ouch.. That's nothing compared to most things nowadays xD)

I also ran Aida so I could find out more as I had no idea what motherboard it has.. It told me:
Motherboard name: Unknown
Motherboard chipset: Intel Springdale-G i865g

At the moment it's running Windows xp service pack 2 as well.

If anyone needs any more information about other specifications it has at the moment, please don't hesitate to ask. I wasn't really sure how much was necessary to state.

Thankyou, in advance to anyone that can be of assistance to me (Although I feel like a right noob xD)

Strawballs 01:48 21 Jul 10

For what you are describing your use will be I would firstly put more Ram in (not knowing what main board is it's difficult to advise what it will go up to) and depending how much music you want to store I would get a bigger hard drive.

You say a little bit of gaming, as long as they are not latest top of the range game the graphics card should handle the rest no problem.

Murderdolly666 01:57 21 Jul 10

Ok, kinda along the lines I was thinking then. I don't suppose you know any way I can find out what mother board it has?
Thankyou for your time :) it's very much appreciated

Strawballs 04:31 21 Jul 10

Aida is quite old you coukld try taking the side of and looking at the board to se if you can see a name and model number

Technotiger 06:27 21 Jul 10

RAM - got to click here and run the scan there, this will tell you what RAM your PC can take.

Run the Free version of click here then click on Motherboard in the left-hand column - this should tell you all you need to know about the motherboard.

Technotiger 06:30 21 Jul 10
  Murderdolly666 11:47 21 Jul 10

I found out what the main board is ^^ It's a Asrock Prescott 800 dual channel ddr 400.

And thankyou Technotiger for the links I will try them in a bit when i've woken up properly xD

Murderdolly666 13:49 21 Jul 10

Right sorted all that out so know I know more of what i'm looking at and what I can do to improve it. Thankyou very much for your time both of you :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…