want to play avi's on my telly

computerdiv 10:10 30 Jun 07

hi i have downloaded films from the net and wish to play them on my tv. failed to convert them onto a disc and want to know if i can plug some type of hard drive straight into my tv to veiw them and avoid having to spend hours converting to different formats. any help greatly recieved.

ta

ashdav 10:18 30 Jun 07

if your dvd player has DivX or Xvid marked on the front panel it will play these.
All you need to do is copy them to a cd or put as many as you can on a dvd.
You won't need to convert them.
If the player is not marked as such suggest you buy one that is. They're cheap enough.

mrwoowoo 11:52 30 Jun 07

if you have nero 6 or 7,you can use nero recode which will convert avi to dvd in about 5 mins before going on to burn them.

computerdiv 12:06 30 Jun 07

i have nero 6. which option do i find the recode function under and is it fairly self explanatory

mrwoowoo 12:24 30 Jun 07

i only have nero 6,but when you open nero there should be an arrow or tab on the left that opens a menu.one of the options being nero recode.
choose recode and the top option which i think is recode an entire dvd to dvd.( sorry at work at the mo).then go through the burn process as usual,selecting your dvd writer as the destination ( drive E or what ever)and a folder for temp files which will be nero as default or make a folder first and name it temp or something, then browse to this.if missed anything will post back when at home.
if you have any probs post back.

Tim1964 23:57 30 Jun 07

I recently converted an AVI to DVD using the free prog 'DVD Flick' but the 85 min programme took (according to DVD Flick) 8 hrs and 20 mins!!. I left it to do it's thing overnight.

My original method was to copy the file onto a USB pen drive and play it on my laptop using it's S Video output to get it on the TV and by using 'media player classic' as the player.

It's a bit of a fussy way to do it but setting it all up takes about 10 mins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos