want to get internet access on boat

rsturbo 02:48 06 Jan 03
  rsturbo 02:48 06 Jan 03

we have a boat in France and travel on the sea occasionally, we would like to have access to the internet for emails, weather and chat could somebody suggest a way of connecting to the internet with our laptop?
the laptop has bluetooth, pcmcia and usb connections (sony vaio).
would like fairly reasonable connection speed but need to know what is possible first! thanks for any help

dez fowler 03:04 06 Jan 03

You need a mobile phone with a modem that's able to send/receive data. You may fine if you have mobiles already that one of the supports this. Check in the manuals about using them with a laptop. You'll need to make sure that you have the right connection for the phone, if it doesn't support bluetooth then you'll need a data cable to connect it to the computer.
They will offer a reasonable connection speed in the region of a dial-up modem.

If you don't have a phone that supports internet connections though it then you might consider buying one, you can get one fairly cheaply although its connection speed wont be anything special, ask in a mobile phone store for help.

One drawback to this may be that you mobile phone company will charge you big bucks for a data call so you need to check all of this out first.

rsturbo 03:29 06 Jan 03

race people use i.e. helen mcarthur etc. use. suppose this is even bigger bucks?

dez fowler 03:41 06 Jan 03

Good point rsturbo, you'd need to be relatively close to land to use it and be signed up with a mobile phone provider in france if that's where you sail off.

Round the world yachting would require a satelite phone of some sort. Which are pretty expensive and i've no idea about setting up the internet on one of them. You'd prolly need a modem PCMCIA card to connect to the phone.

golfpro 08:18 06 Jan 03

Wait for the new G3 model phones to hit the market and then check them out they are supposed to handel this problem.

€dstow 08:40 06 Jan 03

One of my clients has a yacht moored in Cannes. He uses a satellite system for internet. I understand it is all organised by Wanadoo (French ISP).

You say your boat is in France - you must be either pretty well off of have an extremely tiny boat to do this!;-)

Ask of Wanadoo and remember not to be too influenced by the relativley primitive state of the British internet. You may find some pleasant surprises the other side of the Channel.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…