Want to get into games..at my age ??

Derek 08:30 08 Dec 03

The winter months for an old pensioner can be over long so I thought I would get into the games scene. I know you're all experts and want to help but please keep your advice simple.
Some history, not much interested in racing cars because I've done it for real, not keen on flight sims because I've got the MS one and find it too complicated.
Been building and using PC's since the 60's and my present setup looks like this;

Asus A7N8X deluxe.
Win XP pro.
2 X 60 Gb Hdd's
512 DDR Ram.
Usual CD drives (Dvd etc).
Broadband.
Side Winder by MS.
19" screen.

Perhaps the above won't want changing but here we go with the remainder;

CPU is Athlon XP 2000 (1.24Gh).
Graphics card is Nvidia Riva TXN2 Model 64 Pro.

I'm certain you'll find these two last items 'iffy' and want changing and I've got about £150-200 reserved.
Any help on equipment and suitable games would be appreciated. Kindest regards to all.

Jester2K II 08:40 08 Dec 03

CPU is OK but G Card has to go.

A friend rebuilt a new PC with a XP2000 in it and used his old GeForce3 Ti 200 in it. It flies with the latest games!!! The rest of the spec looks good too but I'm not sure on what card to advise to buy. Rest assured your budget will be more than enough for a decent card.

vaughan007 08:54 08 Dec 03

The CPU is acceptable for most games. You do need a better graphics card though. If you dont want to spend too much money, but still want reasonable performance, you could get a 128mb card from Geforce 4 TI range. These cards will run most games very well.

As for which games to choose. A good start would be half life generations. Once you have finished the single player game you will then have literally years of fun playing Counter Strike and Team Fortress Clasic online with your broadband connection. All for the bargain basement price of one game! So that cant be bad can it? :-)

vaughan007 08:56 08 Dec 03

If you do get Half Life and play online you will probably get your ass kicked for a while. But dont give up because its well worth practising!

skeletal 09:27 08 Dec 03

Gaming is a very personal thing. I play for hours at a time sometimes (my record when playing the all time greatest game (IMHO!), BBC Elite, was a 9AM start and a 1AM finish the following morning!), and then don’t play for months at a time.

It may be useful to decide which type of game you are interested in i.e. simulation games (like flight sims, which you mention you aren't keen on), adventure, shot-em-ups, things like computer chess, God games, and my personal favourite, RTS or real time strategy.

I love the Homeworld series (a space base RTS game), but others love things like Doom, or Quake, which leave me cold. Perversely, however, I was hooked on Serious Sam, which is sort of a joke against shoot-em-ups, whilst itself being a shoot-em-up!

There are so many out there, it may be worth buying a few mags dedicated to gaming to get a feel of what you can get.

Skeletal

vaughan007 10:36 08 Dec 03

God games are always fun.

However, broadband has taken first person shooters, like Counter Strike, to a new level.

Playing against (and with) other real people in a team environment with no noticeable lag is really very good fun and can become very competitive.

IClaudio 11:44 08 Dec 03

Broadband was made for online gaming... try a demo of a first-person shooter like Call of Duty, which is the best around at the moment. That's great for just running around blasting everyone in sight (though there are co-operative and team modes too), while Battlefield 1942 is great for team tactics.

HalfLife and Counterstrike appeal too much for my liking to 14-year-olds who don't seem to care about cheating their way to the top of the frag (kill) list.

I've a coupla years to go yet before the free bus pass, so I might stand a chance against you ;-)

If you have £150 to £200 available you can get a very nice graphics available. I am looking at a ATI Raedon 9800 SE that is about £160, that you make the same speed as a 9800 Pro, a card that costs £300 plus!

Some of the most popular games at the moment are some based on war situation's. Medal of Honour, Call of Duty and Battlefield all based on world war 2. Desert combat a modification to battlefield 1942 is free and based on the 1st gulf war with all the equipment used at that time, apache's etc.

If you want a game with lot's of different tactic's, i would recommend battlefield 1942, i can spend hour's playing it especially the desert combat mod. But the vehicles make it a lot more fun, plane's, jeep's, ship's and tank's.

Medal of honour and call of duty are more of a case of gonig round and just shooting... nothing more nothing less.

Counterstrike is a very popular mod, but to find a server with players that talk normally is very hard. Also i find counterstrike (or CS as sometimes known) quite repetitive.

There was a gamesroom here many months ago, but that got taken away so me and a few other old gamesroom people set up anohter forum, more than welcome to old PCA members at click here Join us there, and chances are once you get your chosen game, there will be someone there to help you out!

You are never to old to take up game's, i think the older you are the more you will probably enjoy it!

Read this click here

vaughan007 12:04 08 Dec 03

your a noob :-P

How do you mean with players who talk normally?

As for cheating in online games...yeah its a pain...but if you choose good servers that are well run then its not much of a probem.

I can give a list of good CS servers, with no haxors, should anyone want them.

Good forum by the way.

Indigo 1 14:57 08 Dec 03

As an ex racing driver myself, I find the racing sims excellent! How often can you just keep going over the same track cutting your times down in real life ? Before the race begins ?
To start with, I can highly recommend "TOCA 2" Touring car championship---hours of fun and fairly realistic handling characteristics and crash damage etc.
Second, "Colin McRae Rally" any version is a MUST
There are many others but they are just variations really apart from the F-1 games (which can be very difficult without a steering wheel and pedal setup).

Have lot's of fun!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…