want to change user name

lesbos123 13:37 24 Aug 07

hi i bought a computer with windows xp home already installed how do i get my name in documents and settings not (user) any help would be gratefully recieved

BurrWalnut 13:43 24 Aug 07

You set up a new account with your name then delete any unwanted ones.

To change the “Registered To” name on System Properties, General Tab, Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion and look for Registered Owner and/or Registered Organisation, then change the wording accordingly.

lesbos123 16:48 24 Aug 07

i have done that but it doesn't change anything when i download stuff every thing goes to user wont let me delete or change it

lesbos123 16:49 24 Aug 07

sorry dont think i was that clear there is only me using computer no other accounts on it

Clapton is God 16:53 24 Aug 07

Go to Control Panel; User Accounts and choose either 'Change an Account' or 'Create a new Account'

lesbos123 17:05 24 Aug 07

sorry if i sound thick clapton but i have done that what i actually want is when i go to my computer and explore it to say my name not (user) have tried changing user but it say i cant

Clapton is God 17:39 24 Aug 07

Are you signed in as an Administrator?

Eric10 19:06 24 Aug 07

I'll try to clarify what has already been said.
Go to Contol Panel, User Accounts, Create a new account. Enter your name in the box and OK your way out of it. Restart the computer and you should get a login screen showing your new account and the existing one. Login using your new account.
If you don't get the choice to login to the new account go back into Control Panel, User Accounts, User Accounts and make sure the new account is showing. If the account is there then close Control Panel and go to Start, Run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes. In the resulting dialogue box, on the Users tab, tick the box labelled "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" then click OK.
Go to Start, Log Off and you will now get the login screen where you can login to your new account. Once this is up and running you will need to copy all your documents, pictures etc from the old account into the appropriate folders in your new account. If anything won't copy across then you may need to set up another temporary account and log in to that to do the copying. This is because problems can ocurr when copying to or from accounts that are in use.
Once you are satisfied that everything is running ok from your new account you can delete the others.
To change the username, which is a different thing from user accounts, then read the post from BurrWalnut again.

ambra4 22:38 24 Aug 07

Go to this site download and run

click here

lesbos123 13:27 28 Aug 07

thanks all for your help but nothing you have suggested has worked all i want is my own name in folder wen i download stuff not (user) any 1 else got any ideas

Eric10 15:26 28 Aug 07

The ONLY way to get your name onto the folders in "Documents and Settings" is to create yourself as a new user with your name of choice and log on using that account. Renaming a user account does NOT change the name on the folders. Neither does changing the Registered Owner of the PC.

I can't give any clearer instructions on how to create a new account than you have already been given. Do you not have a friend who could help you?

Also click here and click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017