Want to access work pc from home.

monyou 14:49 16 Jun 04

How can I access my works PC from a laptop at home (particularly sage/sage payroll) ?

MartinT-B 15:09 16 Jun 04

You don't say what Operating system(s) are used.

Firstly, if you have an IT dept at work, I would consult them. If not, make sure you discuss it with whoever is responsible for maintaining teh system.

It's my understanding that setting up a virtual Private Network will be the safest method. You will need to make sure you have an ISP at home as you'll need to access the internet to make the connection.

Find out more about VPNs click here

You will also need to have a copy of the sage programs on your laptop as well as at work. If you have a mutlti-install copy of the programs that won't be a problem.

MartinT-B 15:13 16 Jun 04

More on how VPNs work click here

Fruit Bat 16:58 16 Jun 04

IT departmnet can be quite paranoid about connecting to other computers, so if its just documents or something simular the easiest wy is to buy a USB pen / card reader to transfer files.

keith-236785 17:01 16 Jun 04

do a search for VNC, it is used by my works it department to ring in and take over controll of our pc when things go tits up.

i also have it on my own pc network (two pc's) and it works just fine, no need to have sage installed on your laptop as in effect you are sat at your pc at work.

all you need is to install VNC on both laptop and works computer (as long as your works computer has internet access then you should be ok), then you open the connection (the ip address) and type the password, then take control of the works pc (just like pc anywhere, but free.)

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…