Wandering Mouse Cursor

dogbreath1 10:37 23 Oct 06

I had a problem with an intermittent drifting cursor (always right to left!) regarding an optical scroll mouse and an XP SP2 machine.

Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers didn't help so I replaced the mouse with a different make but similar spec.

XP installed this new found hardware (Logitech) but the problem (though less severe) still persists.

Any ideas please?

It's more of an irritation than a problem, but I'd love to sort it!

Eric10 10:40 23 Oct 06

Start > Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options tab and untick 'Enhanced pointer precision'.

Stuartli 10:42 23 Oct 06

Sometimes it's also due to the mouse mat being on a slight slope or the weight of your hand is causing one.

In the case of my best mate's business system I discovered it was due to the corded mouse's lead being in a loop and trying to uncurl itself...:-)

Batch 11:03 23 Oct 06

Optical mice are not perfect. On some surfaces the optical unit seems to think the mouse is moving when it isn't. I find both my mice (different types on 2 separate PCs) don't like my cream coloured desk surface (they are supposed to work OK without mousemats). Similarly problems arise with using some mousemats - as far as I can tell it is the pattern on the mat that the mice don't like.

rdave13 11:14 23 Oct 06

Try using the mouse on a sheet of paper.

Fingees 11:18 23 Oct 06

I had a similar problem with a cordless optical mouse, a while ago.

I eventually replaced it with a wireless keyboard and mouse for princely sum of £14.00 from PC World.

You never know, yours may have just gone duff.

All the best

dogbreath1 12:33 23 Oct 06

Stuartli - The cursor was moving a long way (always right to left) even when the mouse was stationary.

Batch - Agreed...my mice don't like wood grain!

Rdave13 - Have done that already...and yes it's a good idea, solving my wood grain problem.

Fingees - Both original and replacement mice displayed the same phenomenon

Eric10 - You responded first, but I've saved you until last! I think that you may have solved the problem. It has been an intermittent problem, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I suspect that it's a problem which you are familiar with? Why does the 'fix' work?

Stuartli 14:07 23 Oct 06

Like you I covered my mouse mat with (a sheet of A4 copier) paper, after I found that a new optical mouse didn't like the dark patterned surface of the mat.

Eric10 15:04 23 Oct 06

All I can say is that it worked for me on two different PCs. I suspect that the "enhancement" just makes it too sensitive.

Meshuga 17:52 23 Oct 06

And of course there is always the possibility of low batteries. Thats happened in the past.

woodchip 18:05 23 Oct 06

I have this problem on my XP laptop, Optical Sigma mouse. Do's not do it much but it does move if I do not use it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…